Ok got another question

lyrical

I tell ya if you don't have heaps of money to spend then the best way to get cheap and free plants is to swap them with other hobbyists. You just gotta get out there and meet people and get involved in the clubs. I went on a fish shop crawl organised by another forum. For some reason shop crawls organised on this forum never seem to take off. Anyway, the crawl was followed by a plant swap and I came away with a stack of plants for free. The EDAS Plant Study Group is another good one to go along to. Members bring excess plants, trimmings etc to the meetings and it's free for other members to take away.

I'd keep an eye on algae with that T5 light, I got one a few weeks ago and since using it on a daily basis this gross brown algae has started taking over! it grows on everything from he tank walls to the gravel and the decorative rocks and it crops up REALLY FAST. I transferred the light from the 4ft to the 3.4ft on Saturday and only be using it for a few hours per day and it's already present in the 3.4ft after 4 days!

Edit~~~ Should mention that the tubes in my T5 light are 10 000K ea and it's a double tube light so essentially i'm running 20 000K into the tank..so no wonder algae is running rampant. I'm gonna get some 6400K tubes soon for plant growth.

Actually to tell you the truth ......it looks more filled out ............and these plants will grow a bit wont they ???????? l'm going to take up your suggestion and get some river pebbles and put some java moss on them l want it to look lush and heavy with plants with a green carpet at the front ....l'm hoping the Big Aunabis (sp) is going to grow really big and fill in the left hand corner...l think l'll leave it like it is for now and just see how everything grows with the T5 light.. and some fertilizer..l've got some plants in my 48 litre all in one which l could pinch ..l know val is a root plant but l might just put some of it in and see how it goes ..if it doesnt work l'll remove it ....In the 25 litre l've got a nana aunabis it's throwing off babies ....its the same with my banana lillies might put some in the 2ft and see what happens...can't hurt can it and if they look like they arent doing so well l'll put them back into the orginal tanks.

It looks nice Lisa the plants will grow and fill out. I have some java fern that throws off little ones all the time and I just throw them out. When they send off some more I will give you a hoy and can send them to you if you want them. I have some Java moss I can post off to you now, it grows wild here. If you want to send me a pm with your address I will pop it in the mail for you. Your neon tetras look fantastic in there under the lights. Roy is they guys name from Cranbourne and he is a character. I travel an hour to go and get my supplies from him. I wonder why he said no cichlids for your tank. What about some clown loaches in there? Have to say one of my favoutire fish. They need to be in groups of 3 or more is better. They are very safe with discus and clean the bottom of left over food and they are busy busy busy all the time. Bristle nose are good for keeping on top of the alge. So you have your top with your guppies and lucky your middle with your tetras so it's the bottom that you need which could be the clown loaches, bistle nose and cories. I have read that the cories aren't any good with ugf as they dig around in the gravel for food. Mine are always feeding at the top when food is on offer so I am not sure how valid that statement is, if anyone else knows be sure to correct me

Ok l bought this sucking cat fish and l called him Pipsqueak ...but the LFS didnt know what kind of sucking catfish he is ....but l bought him anyway ....would any of you happen to know what kind he is..?????His really cute ..hides under rocks and pokes his nose out as if to say " Are you still.. is it safe to come out now "....he was only $5 ..I'll post a pic of Pipsqueak and an albino sucking catfish that l've got as well ..so u can see a comparison..

Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak.jpg

Albino sucking catfish

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/Li...kingcatfish.jpg

Archived