Anasfire

HMPK Red/Gold Dragon Fry

Ok, not sure I want him brutally critiqued but couldn't think of anywhere else to show him off and get opinions. Yes I'm aware he doesn't have ventrals :P. He's the only 1 out of 3 that I'm positive is male and is developing this really nice gold butterfly type ring on his anal fin which looks like it might spread to his caudal and dorsal eventually.

He's about 5 months old, yes I know he's really small for a fish of that age but I just can't seem to get males to full size, females I have no problem with but males stay bonsai'd for me for some reason but in saying that he has grown quite a bit since he's been separated. I took about 20 photo's of him and only this one wasn't blurred... he's a speedy little thing and hard to corner especially now that he's in a 12L heated tank.

SUC30100-1.jpg

Edited by Fighters4U

I normally take about 100 shots and get maybe 10 that are ok and then out of those 10 probably only 1 or 2 are worth showing to other people. Taking photos sucks.

Well I'll try not to be brutal but this is a critique forum and fish presented here are supposed to be assessed against IBC show standards, so I'm going to pretend I'm looking at this fish in a show. Also IBC shows use a 'least faults' system of judging fish. That means essentially that we focus on the negatives. This is because in a show most of the fish are of a very high standard and the difference between the 1st and 2nd place might be a single slight fault. I actually read an article, I think in the IBC magazine FLARE!, about the Best of Show only being determined after looking at the fish with a magnifying glass and one of the judges discovered a scale that was slightly out of alignment, undetectable to the naked eye.

Anyway, let's begin with Form & Finnage faults.

Missing ventrals -- disqualifying fault

Less than 4 cm -- disqualifying fault

(In an IBC show the judge would probably not look any further. But we'll ignore those and press on.)

Swayback/humpback -- severe fault

Not flaring -- severe fault

Small dorsal -- minor fault

Anal fin not pointed -- major fault

Colour faults

I'm treating him as a bicolour although dragons don't really fit into the bicolour class by my reckoning. Should really clarify that with the Judging Board. I suppose dragons could be shown in AOC where they would be judged on form and finnage only but... umm... this guy wouldn't do so well in that class.

Anyway, body colour on fins and fin colour on body -- major fault.

From a breeding point of view I wouldn't breed with this fish unless I had no choice. I would certainly avoid breeding him to a sibling as this will amplify his faults.

Geez! I feel like the Queen Bitch of the Forum! :P Seems like I'm just criticizing everything lately. :) You know I'm just trying to help, right?

lol its a Critique thats what you do! haha

I guess he is just going to be a good pet

I have no choice, he's the only remaining male from that line!!! Well so far, there's one I'm positive is a female and one I'm not so sure about the sex of yet. I won't be breeding him to a sibling but rather back to his mother, or Aunt (no sure which was his mother as they are both identical) I actually burst out laughing at the 'Less than 4 cm'! Thanks anyway b'azzi, I love him all the same though and can't wait to see him get bigger!

Edited by Fighters4U

Dead fish.... he died MONTHS ago. Never did work out why...one minute he was fine, growing (finally) and the next he was just dead. Like literally one hour he was fine the next he was dead.

that little red boy I got from you some time ago, that was a halfmoon, he had no ventrals either. Sadly I lost him in my move.