Jump to content

water and elecriity mix


Recommended Posts

Ok so I am sure that most of you don't turn the power point off when cleaning your tanks :P . Or am I the only idiot? Well learn't my lesson today. Thank god for safety switches. Yep wet hands on heater plug,duh, without even thiking and bang a nice big electric shock. Enough of a shock that now I have a sore jaw a good headache and 2 numb fingers. So just a little reminder that the warnings on the packet are there for a reason. :dontknow:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guilty of not turning everything off... I am however very, very careful when it comes to handling plugs etc with wet hands. Numerous times I've gone to insert a filter/heater etc plug and pulled up short, giving the pins, and my hands, a good wipe down before proceeding.

You are, indeed, very lucky, Leanne. Go buy a Lottery ticket.

And some Panadol :dontknow:

Link to post
Share on other sites

lol I almost did it today, I got a new heater and i was uncoiling the cable... I'd positionned the ehater where i wanted it and looked down... guess where the plug was... in a bucket of water! OOPS! knew I shoulda moved that... I pulled it out and gave it a good wipe down and let it sit for a while before plugging it in!

Link to post
Share on other sites

An electrician friend and fellow fishkeeper told me to wipe off plugs and cords periodically because any water that splashes on them dries and the minerals that are left behind are highly conductive. Apparently you can get shocks touching these areas even with perfectly dry hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How would you get electrocuted by touching the cord? It's non-conducting material. Electrons won't be able to flow from the wire through the insulation and onto the mineral deposit to electrocute you.

Who touches the metal part of the plug before it's disconnected, anyway? :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

How would you get electrocuted by touching the cord? It's non-conducting material. Electrons won't be able to flow from the wire through the insulation and onto the mineral deposit to electrocute you.

Who touches the metal part of the plug before it's disconnected, anyway? :fun:

I didn't touch the metal part. I went to unplug it from the double adapter and the double adapter broke at the seams and some how without even touching that I got a shock. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

I told my 14 year old what had happened and all he said was lucky you didn't kill any fish!!!

LOL, what sympathetic beasts sons can be! Sounds like something one of mine would have said.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I turn off everything before doing water changes, though all it took was a cracked heater (coolish water and hot glass encased elements don't like to play :D )

P.S popped this into the Equipment forum :blush:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sympathies. Electricity is fun isn't it :blush: I was putting a car battery in once and while tightening one terminal the other end of the spanner hit the other terminal. Duh! Best one was when I unplugged a strobe light one day. Hadn't occured to me that the capacitor stores quite a lot of electricity and my finger happened to hit both pins. Ouch :D No mishaps with tanks yet (touch wood). Might have to learn a lesson from you Leanne and turn off the power from now on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...