getting daphnia into aus?

Justin88

Daphnia already exists in Australia. It is an aquatic flea quite common in garden ponds particulary ponds with heavy plant loads to prevent any fish eating them before you see them skipping across the water. It is also available as frozen food I have a quantity of Hikari brand in my freezer.

Yep me too. I made the mistake of calling it daf-in-nee-ah and the guy was like 'what the??' he soon realised I meant Daphnia and promptly got me a frozen pack. I find my fish don't like it all that much. It might just be that I've been feeding them live foods that wriggle for too long and they frozen stuff is 2nd rate in their opinion. Who knows. Ask at you local fish shop and I'm sure if they don't have it they can order it in.

You might also find this site informative

http://www.appslabs.com.au/daphnia.htm

what the problem is........ is that i brought a daphnia starter culture off ebay and the guy said that i'll have to check with my local regulations because they might not let them in....but im not sure who they are?

I'd suggest....They.....are AQIS

You can't legally import them.....but there is no need to

Someone will have them....or if you are adventurous....get a fine net and go searching for any pond without fish

I know of several locations in Brisbane.

Storage ponds on Golf courses or public parks....frequented by ducks(green water) are often a good source.

You only need to isolate a few to start a culture

Have a look at live food data

Did you buy from overseas? I'd do your best to talk your way out of the sale and buy locally.

yeh.... too late he sent it this morning so i'll see how it goes.... he said he will give me a refund on them anyway...

:) this begs the question...

is it the Seller or the Buyer who should be responsible for finding out if they can post something somewhere?

I'd suggest that if someone is saying they post "worldwide" they should know about the quarantine laws of where they're sending to etc. and if they impact on products they're selling....

Then again the buyer should probably check as well.... so they don't potentially get in trouble...

what are everyone's thoughts on this?

(Mods feel free to move this if I'm hijacking too far off topic)

Both buyer and seller need to be informed about the decisions they are making. But I think that the seller should be making sure that they and their buyer understand the legality and practicality of the situation, since they are the ones advertising and offering a product/service (especially if they promise global delivery and are a small business so can be more personal with their customers).

I ordered some MW and Walter worms off a guy on AB in the US and neither of us were sure if they would make it through customs. He just added 'fish food' to the declaration and packed them tight with newspaper hoping they'd slip through but in the end they were picked up and I got a letter stating they were not allowed in and I didn't need to reply as they would be destroyed within a week. I really doubt it will make it in. It's a live organism from a foreign source and in their eyes a potential environmental hazard as you could inadvertently release it into our ecosystems. At least he offered you a refund, the guy I bought them from didn't! I am still upset about the place I ended up moving to (had to take it as I was out of options). I can't set up a mosquito larvae culture or daphnia as all the area's outside of my front door are 'common areas' and I can just imagine someone walking past my mozzie culture and tipping it out thinking they're doing a public service not allowing more mozzies to breed.

Good luck with your daphnia hunt and I really doubt that your order will make it through customs. If you like I can try and source you a starter culture. I'm friendly with a few LFS guys who all breed fish at home. I'll sound them out next time I'm at their stores.

i was able to get some microworms and vinegar eels in from (bettatalk) which i thought was in the US...

That would be great because i would like to get daphnia because it sounds sort of easy to culture yourself...

why are you trying to illegally get foreign material into the country?? Does Quarantine mean NOTHING to you people???

If you can't bring plants, food, fruit, wood etc in as a passenger on a plane - what makes you think it is allowable by post???

Some people have successfully had aquatic plants sent in by post. Does no-one remember what happened to the citrus industry in Emerald??

AQIS is not just trying to make life difficult for the public. It is trying to protect the public from it's own stupidity.

NOTHING LIVE, OF PLANT OR ANIMAL ORIGIN OR CONTAINING SHRIMP, EGGS, MILK OR MEAT is permitted.

READ THIS AQIS NOT PERMITTED

Daphnia is usually available in the cooler months. I generally have live cultures available from July onwards.

Frozen daphnia is freely available.

The funniest thing happened. I have a small 20cm cube which doesn't have any fish in it. It's under a light and I chuck plants in there that I haven't got anywhere else to put. I emptied some of it out the other day and lo and behold, DAPHNIA! Must have been some daphnia eggs on the plants or something. No need for illegal imports. They're everywhere! :D

• 6 months later...

Would anyone have a pic of this daphnia as I think I have it in a tub near my laundry. I've been using the mozzie wrigglers for my breeding pair because its friggen hard getting live black/blood worms where I live, unless I get them ordered in, and most the time they are almost dead by the time I get them.

Archived