My black dragon pair

lpiasente

Lovely, lovely? What do ya mean lovely. Gorgeous don't you mean? Ok you know I am no betta critique but how does he rate? I have decided not to breed them so it doesn't matter if they aren't good breeding material. I would just like to know what to look for in a good halfmoon.

Well his form is pretty good. Can't see how straight the outer rays of his caudal are but my guess is that he's got a pretty good halfmoon shaped tail. His anal fin looks a little long in relation to his caudal but that could just be the angle of the photo.

His colour is a little more difficult to rate because there isn't an accepted standard that covers dragons. They are most often shown in the Bicolour class. But fish in this class are expected to have fins which are a contrasting colour to the body. Bleeding of the body colour onto the fins is a severe fault in the bicolour class especially when the body colour bleeds into more than a third of the fins as it does here. So if you were showing this fish you would probably not put him in the bicolour class. Perhaps the AOC (any other colour) class would be more appropriate where he would be judged purely on form and finnage.

What we need is more people breeding dragons so that they can be properly recognised in the standards. So breed them Leanne!

But if you breed them you'll have hundreds of pretty fish not just two! :blush:

I tried my gold dragon pair about 3 times unsuccessfully. The main reason for failure I reckon is that I get too clever for myself and don't do anything that I tell other people to do in terms of preparing their fish prior to spawning. I'm going to give them another go soon.

OMG I can't beleive I didn't see this earlier...spose that's what happens when you move house and can't get online for like a week! They are gorgeous fish *drooling on keyboard* are you gonna spawn them? If so put myself and Misfit (absent partner in fish crime) for a pair of the babies!!

Archived