tailess betta on AB!

divy

awhile ago there was a tailless female betta for sale on aquabid and some one bought it and from what i read is now trying to breed it (which i personaly think is wrong)

and just now as i was looking on aquabid i found another tailess betta and belive it or not is selling for $75

heres the link to it

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...&1210594743

im not sure how much the last tailess betta sold for but to me it looks like people are trying to make money from these deformed bettas

Thinks now I should have kept my deformed ones and tried to sell them on AB. They looked like the masked killer off scream. Couldn't close their mouths and at $75 a pop I could have made an awesome profit. God breeding in genetic deformities?! what the F#&* are these people thinking? Oh fair enough if it were rare and actually made the fish look better but missing a dorsal, how on earth can that make a fish look better? It just looks plain wrong!

It's quite interesting that on the other forums where these discussions took place that there seems to be no holds barred in terms of people voicing their opinion. Some of the comments were much more severe criticisms than we ever allow ourselves to express here.

Well that is interesting. *tilts head* ... *tilts head the other way*

I suppose that really, breeding something with a genetic quirk such as this is kind of hard to say anything bad about given that we wouldn't have the fish we do today if others before us hadn't done exactly that. The fish that show this abnormality seems content and the other fins seem to compensate for the missing caudal so motoring around the tank shouldn't be an issue, and I have to admit to being curious if this would show up in subsequent spawns of that line. I don't think I'd like to see them go mainstream (and given that betta culture revolves around tails I doubt they would take off even if quantity could be produced) but from a purely investigative point of view, it would be fascinating.

Well, regardless of personal feelings - there would be no ranchu or bubble eye goldfish if every dorsal-less goldfish was fed to the cat. No long fin oscars, danios, white clouds, etc no balloon rams, mollies etc. Some people like them, some don't.

I find the blood parrot hideous - yet it is Asia's biggest seller.

At least with genetic modification there is little or no pain and stress to the fish. And we are talking about a domestic animal here. Of course a blood parrot would not survive in the wild. It is not a wild fish and should never be released. How long would a Persian cat survive in central Australia? Your "wild type" moggie will flourish, ole "matted fur and flat face overheating" is dingo dinner. It's horses for courses.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Money is a great motivator.

my 2c J

Archived