Something I've found useful

Puggle

When i leave water in a tub to age for a few days, it ends up with lots of dust and stuff in it. This is really noticeable when trying to take photos. I came up with a simple solution to get crystal-clear water.

Take a plastic cup and poke a bunch of holes in the bottom.

Half fill the cup with filter wool.

Add water.

Here's the result

Posted Image

fantastic! I use a similar method when siphoning gunk from fry tanks. After my big pH crash incident I find it hard to trust Sydney water, but sometimes I want to get the snail poop out. So I get a funnel (made out of the cut-off top of a coke bottle I used in an old barracks once, so it has a nice wide spout) and I put a paper dust mask in it, then stick it in the top of a 1L milk bottle that has holes poked all around the outside, which is itself standing in a bucket. Then I siphon the mulm through the paper dust mask (being careful not to siphon fry - but unavoidable - they can be carefully retrieved from the dust mask afterwards) and eventually tip the CRYSTAL CLEAR water back into the tank. This way I can remove the nitrate-removing poop but not introduce whatever in in the tap water that week, or shock the fry. But to be honest, these days I don't bother, LOL. I leave the gunk there!

I love the filter-cup idea! I might try to bodgy something up on a slightly larger scale.

Lilli, I do the dust-mask thing with snail poo as well: it certainly helps to get fry through the first couple of weeks without foul water.

Mick (bakerman) has an ingenious flow-through system for pre-filtering his water on a large scale, using a bucket filter full of carbon and floss to remove contaminants. Hose goes in one end -- purified water comes out the other.

I've drawn a pic of the system as I recall it: I hope Mick doesn't mind me sharing it, and I hope I've got the details right! :cheer:

Posted Image

yeah, some are non-permeable, I got some like that when I tried to replace my 1st lot. Luckily the brands are usually so cheap you can just try them and chuck them if they don't work. I wish I could remember the brand I use that does work!

Archived