Foxtail also known as Hornwort

Tammy

3 tanks all with foxtail and all with the same aged tap water... only 1 tank has a heater set to 26 degrees Celcius... after about 6 hours I notice that the foxtail has all but dis-integrated leaving just limp stalks and loose leaves every where. Where as the foxtail in the unheated tanks is fine?!? It is my first encounter with Foxtail... was my batch just tempremental? Please let me what your experiences have been. Thanks

I think you may have another plant, as far as i know foxtail and hornwart are a different thing. I have hornwart outside in my pond and it lives in the freezing water, and i brought some in last week into a heated (28 degree) water and it is growing so well, up to about 50cm a week, too fast for me to keep up with!!

Foxtail has a higher WPG requirement than hornwort. What are your tanks like lighting-wise? EDIT: looked it up for you :P FOXTAIL Myriophyllum sp. HORNWORT Ceratophyllum sp (C. submersum is best, C. demersum (sp?) doesn't handle the transition to water very well.)

right.. thanks guys.... Phil, what I have is definitely different to the plant in your pic. mine is bushier with long skinny (almost tubular)leaves branching off from everywhere. I will try to get a pic tomorrow. To see what you think but I reckon it must be foxtail... Bloody LFS really does not have clue! :P :P

Lfs often only go by what was on their order sheet and if that is what the supplier  sent that, in their mind, is what it is. Case in point 'Clown tails'

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:P Do they have little red noses or something? :P

*whistles the clown theme* I dislike when you go in shops to buy something and the salespeople try to talk you out of the exact thing you want and go for something more expensive... that or they look at you funny when they find out you know more than they do :cheer:

I've got a plant that looks like the one Phil has but it was sold to me as Foxtail :cheer: I'm still not sure it isn't hornwort though. Every so often it goes brown and all the leaves drop off so I throw most of it out but keep a little bit that is still green and throw it back in the tank (26c) and it grows in no time.

Hornwort is low to medium, say 0.5WPG to 2WPG, although it would probably grow in higher. WPG = watts per gallon, which is a rough way of estimating how much light is getting to your plants. how strong is your fluro tube compared to how many gallons you have in your tank. Its not foolproof, its just a rough guide, as it doesn't work with tanks under 15USG, or with custome tall tanks, or with old tubes. :cheer: long list :D

Do you have a pic of yours Sharon?

no but I'll try and get one for you. I'm sure the lighting in my tanks is not right but I have a huge algae problem because they are near a glass door so I have had to use a single light for only about 6 hours. Might play around with that again soon though :cheer:

Most of the Australian references that Google turned up indicate that hornwort and foxtail are both common names for Ceratophyllum demersum. However, the lfs's around here tend to call it hornwort. What I've bought as "foxtail" is bronze-coloured with pink tips, but is in other respects identical to hornwort. Too confusing!

Archived