Sign in to follow this  
Callatya

Bagging for shipping

I have gotten fish from 3 importers so far, and all have a slightly different way of bagging. They use different bags, have varying amounts of O2, water, additives etc. I have recieved fish in blackworm bags because it supposedly reduces chewing. (none arrived chewed) I have recieved fish in deflated 6x10 baggies (i couldn't get them out fast enough!) I have recieved fish in 600mL coke bottles (rather unusual!) I've even had once arrive in drilled tupperware! How do you send your fish any why? What water additives do you use and why? How do you like to recieve your fish?

One supplier I used to use would send fish in those clip lock plastic sandwich bags. Good for sandwiches, but totally unsuitable for fish! In one shipment, most of the water had escaped (they're not watertight) and some of the fish were dead. How do I like to receive my fish? Alive! Sue

I have recieved fish in a singl plastic bag, shoved in a styrofoam box, always had leakage :D I have also recieved fish that were in water so low I doubt they were covered most of the trip as the bags were laid on the side. I prefer it when fish are placed in a bag, blown up tight 50/50 O2 and water, then turned upside down and placed inside another bag. This stops leakage, and it also stops the fish getting stuck in the corners of the bag. They are also wrapped in newpaper :(

We use 6x12 inch bags. We always double bag any fish we send. I think for 10c more it is better to be safe than sorry. I've received fish single bagged in the past and they were quite simply in atrocious condition. I still have one guy ($60 fish) who after 5 months is still recovering from his ordeal. Fin rot that just won't go away and we still can't breed from him. He stresses out everytime he is moved somewhere. They arrived with next to no water in the bag due to leakage. The guy I mentioned above was basically in a wet bag. The other $60 guy died a few days later. Lots of water in the foam box though and what was left in the bag was very brown and polluted. I also use a heat pack when sending in winter. I think the buyer (let alone the fish) deserves that much with the fish they are getting. If they don't want a heat pack (to save on P&H cost) I won't send them fish. Summer is a different story. I'm lucky in that I bought a heap of foam boxes from the retailer in Bundaberg when I was down there last. They fit 4 fish nicely with a heat pack. And we also have access to broccoli boxes for free for any larger shipments. In regards to oxygen I have never used it since I wouldn't send a fish if it was going to take more than 2 days. I'm sure they can handle that much and to date we have not had a problem -- even with a couple of wayward deliveries taking 3 days. And on that note we only send fish on Mondays and Tuesdays. I'd hate to have them stuck over a weekend somewhere. We do medicate the water we ship them in though (with Promethyasul). After receiving fish with fin rot we decided to do this to help prevent the same happening to ours. The water is 50% what they have been in and 50% topped up with clean aged water heated to the same temp. We use 1/3 water to 2/3 air when we pack. We go overboard with the packing. But then they aren't our fish by the time we are sending them. :( Najina

:( :D I love the way Najina and someone send the fishes gives me a chance to acclimitise them to their new home without actually mixing water (as happens when you have leaky bags). I've had fish once before sent to me at the start of winter with no heatpack.. even though i asked for it. The water the fish were in was colder than the Artic sea.. needless to say i didnt bother floating the bags, not with the fishes virtually colourless.. I thought i had the wrong fish because these fish were brown and didn't resemble anything that i was shown the picture of... luckily within 30 minutes of tropical waters they recovered.. Luckily that was an overnight delivery

I like it when they're double-bagged and packed in tight in a styrofoam box. I haven't had any with heatpacks yet (although I ordered and paid for one) but unless it's summer then they should have them. I also like it when they are the fish that I ordered... The last time I got fish posted, they were sent through Australia Post and when I went downstairs to collect them, the guy was flipping the box over to check the details. He kind of threw the box up and caught it! :( When I opened the box, the fish weren't double-bagged so water had leaked everywhere. There wasn't any padding between the bags so the poor fish would have been rattling around inside the box. One was already dead. Several died over the next few days. There were a few pairs, but either the male or the female died and I didn't get a single breeding pair from the lot. The best shipping I've had was when I got fish from Lilli. Double-bagged, snuggled in tight with plenty of padding and an extra fish I wasn't expecting :D

I can sympathise Mishy.. I've had a couple of fishsicles arrive poor things.. I'd never even thought about asking for heatpacks before then.. you can be sure I do now though! I've found most people these days take a lot of care with their packaging which is fantastic to see. Double bagging, boxed or somehow protected from shocks or getting squashed, heatpacks when required and packed well enough to last a few days is always preferrable. Hiccups in transportation do happen, but if the fish are packed well enough to handle it your usually right.

:(  :D

I love the way Najina and someone send the fishes

I second that!

I've had a similar thing Puggle, except the box was sent through Express (which actually doesn't have any live fish restrictions or so I read) on a Thursday and the sender was told by the P.O that it would be there Friday. Needless to say I worried and worried all weekend (and it was a cold weekend too) and Monday they finally arrived, all alive thank god. They were in little bottles which I opened immediately to let some fresh air in. That was months ago and sadly I lost both females (only got to spawn one) while both males are still alive... though the stress I think has caused a bladder fault in the red CT. He's still going well though he spends most of his time on his side and seems to be in no pain at all. I agree Najrick, Lilli and someone are great at sending them, haven't had a leak yet! :(

:(  :D

I love the way Najina and someone send the fishes

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

absolutely agree. Fish I've got from them have been packed really well. Sharron (Sharkey) can also pack a mean betta :D

So far I have had fish from someone and from two suppliers in Sydney and I have to say that the shipments from someone were packed beautifully! The last one was packed in a styrofoam box with paper and a heat pack, which in turn was placed in a cardboard box to help retain the heat. The fish arrived in excellent condition and haven't suffered at all. I think the only stress was when they were unpacked and the light was a bit strong for them after the dark box. I think I also would have to congratulate Fastway. All my deliveries have been overnight, whether from Sydney (2 hours away) or Queensland. And the fish are handled with care - at least by my local one.

Sadly, not al fastway franchisees are as reliable. Deb can tell you the story of the Gympie via Melbourne 7 day delivery... Ah well, accidents happen. (?) I do double bag, and I use O2 (only because hubby has an oxy bottle for welding) and invert the inner bags inside the other. I use about 10cm water in the bottom and the rest is oxygen. 2 elastic bands on every bag - inner and outer. I have found used franklins bags to be a fabulous padding material - and they are recyclable! I also sent some fish to Vicki in 1L milk bottles once, because I have run out of bags. I believe they travelled ok. Oh, and heat pads in winter. (Thanks Puggle and Em ;) )

One more thing that I thought I should bring up... Please pack the fish in styrofoam boxes. Do not use cardboard! If the bags leak, even just a little, the cardboard gets wet. Soggy cardboard doesn't support much weight. If your fish are sitting underneath piles of mail, the box will get crushed and so will the fish. :lol: Styrofoam is also a better insulator and shock-absorber.

if the pack is still hot when you receive it put it into an airtight container. Several plastic bags tightly tied inside a tupperware container may work.

Heat packs contain iron which reacts with oxygen to give off heat. Stop the oxygen, stop the reaction. It's hard to stop the oxygen completely, so you may be able to reuse if it a short time frame turn around. Most packs are 36-40hrs, so you may get 2 overnight trips. Worth testing.

Cheers, J

but once they're cold again, you can't re-activate them, as the reactive material inside is all used up.

Sign in to follow this