Shops that sell "fancy Bettas" in Sydney?

Guest geckoriot

Guest geckoriot

Hey-hey apart from SLS, do you guys know the names of any aquariums/petshops in Sydney that sell "fancy Bettas"? Preferably of the Half Moon variety? :D

I was very sad to say goodbye to my erm, regular Siamese Fighter Haizara a couple of days ago :D but I've done a complete water change/clean out and set the tank up again. I was just going to get some plain old goldfish or something, but then I though I've got a bit of Christmas pocket money so why not take it a step up? ;) I've always loved the look of HM bettas

btw, do these fancy critters need any special care apart from that you'd give a normal Betta?

Thanks a lot to anyone who's whilling to help :D oh and, I called SLS, but they didn't have any stock at the mo... I'm happy to wait if you can't get them anywhere else but it's really hard for me to wait once I get an idea in my head :D

Sorry about your loss!

Every once in a while you get HMS at Auburn and (more often) St George and Sth Windsor Fish Hatchery.

Alternatively, Jodi (fishchcik) usually has some in stock that she can ship to you.

The HMs are more delicate and prone to finrot (in particular) than the VTs are. There are a lot of threads about re how we treat water in Sydney for HM bettas. A lot of it challenges conventional wisdom, but bear with us. Basically, never use water within at least 3 days of it coming out of your tap, triple-dose with dechlorinator, and ideally filter with activated carbon OR use aged water from a planted tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even know what SLS is, and I'm in Sydney.... Also looking for "fancy" fish, but currently trying to obtain them from one of the forum breeders. I am being very careful with the water so far, and am a third through the conditioner bottle just for cycling. Can too much conditioner hurt?

• 3 months later...

Technically yes, too much conditioner/dechlorinator can hurt, however the standard bottle mixes have a high safety margin and you could safely overdose by a substantial amount before you ran into problems.

Recently I've seen some good female CTs out of the pet shop at Richmond Marketplace. If you have a day to burn, pick either western Syd or south east Syd and just go through the phonebook. Actuallly, when I get a few minutes to spare (not going to be quick) I'll do up some lists and maps etc

hehe Richmond Market place pet store has moved to North Richmond.. on Bells line of road across from the post office.. :lol: I found that one out while down there hehehe..

They did have a few nice VTs but didnt see any others..

Strictly Aquariums in Blacktown (near Autoone? or some car store hahaha) has quite alot of nice VTs.. Even had a Delta boy and a few Plakats.. all going for VT price.

They didnt know the difference just that they ordered VTs so the breeder must have chucked in a few.

Archived