Eheim 'Aquaball' versus 'Pick Up' filters

finley

Hi

I've been reading a lot (a lot!) about the Eheim Aquaball 2210 and the Pick Up 2010 internal filters, but still cannot decide which model to buy! The performance and size are almost the same, so what would make a person choose one over the other?

The Aquaball is much more expensive, so it seems sensible to buy the very similar, cheaper, Pick Up...unless there are special reasons why the Aquaball is so much better. I can't find any reviews which compare the two models, so does anyone have any experience please?

I've also heard good things about Tetratec filters. Are they available anywhere in Australia?

Thanks!

Finley

(It's for an 85 litre freshwater community tank.)

First up, I own neither, so this is only from listening to others and looking at tech specs.

I think the Aquaball is more flexible in its setup, but looking at both, I'd be more inclined to purchase the Pick-Up as I think the design is a bit better. The basket design of the Aquaball would end up sucking the water very unevenly depending on the media packing and debris build-up, much like the old air-driven box filters. I have no doubt that that powerhead sucks like a demon, but I'm not convinced that would compensate. On top of that, I'll bet that one just drops the debris everywhere if you go to clean it. I have that problem with my Fluval, if I turn it off and go to remove it from the tank it just showers things in muck (not badly, but enough to notice), and it is very enclosed. You'd practically need to get a bucket under that before you turned it off. Either that or you'd need to clean it very regularly which would at least partially negate the better water flow/bacterial growth as you'd be constantly disturbing it. Still, it has some absolutely fab qualities which make it very tempting. The spraybar attachment could be an interesting addition, and it gives you the option of increasing or decreasing your media capacity based on your needs. It would also be fantastic for seeding media for new tanks. Check the venturi nozzles on this model, as apparently some work better than others.

With the Pick-Up, you have virtually the same specs, but you lose a lot of the flexibility and the media is more enclosed. Ordinarily I'd say that isn't a great selling point as the better access to oxygenated water, the better your bacterial colony will grow, however in comparison I think this is a good thing. It has plenty of intake down the bottom (I'd LOVE that for my SW tank, that is a good idea for tanks with a low water level!) and plenty of media room. There are less parts that you need to fiddle with, so less things to go wrong.

You have adequate turnover (around 5-6x per hour), so with careful stocking both will do the job fine. As much as I can appreciate the thought and design that went into the Aquaball, I'm pretty sure that the fussiness would eventually just tick me off, so I'd get the Pick Up (well, I'd probably not get Eheim cause I'm a cheapskate, but you know what I mean :P).

Tetratec is available, it is just a bit boutique. I've seen them around but I can't remember where exactly. They are available online if all else fails :)

Is there a reason you are wanting internal over external? It is just that I'm a sucker for higher turnover in community tanks, and at that size you could probably get a nice little canister with a bunch more media room and higher turnover for similar money (if you go to a slightly cheaper brand) or it might even be worth looking at the larger Penguin HOBs. Plus, keeping the filtration on the outside of the tank means more room for fish! :)

Callatya, thank you for those most excellent thoughts! An external filter, huh? :) Never really considered that...not sure where to position it. But, if they are truly quiet now (they weren't 20 years ago), then maybe I should break out and give one a go!

I've always thought that the vibration of an internal filter, which you can feel when touching the glass even if it's quiet, can't be a great way for fish to live. Then again, I don't want the sound in my living area either... Would an external be quiet enough for a quietness freak like me? And how fiddly are they?...bearing in mind that the tank is on a carpetted area :)

Thanks!

Finley

Edit: Oh, just discovered that externals are a lot more $$ :P

I also have the option of the 2012 internal (rather than 2010). I presume that the output is greater and it's physically larger(???), but I can find no information about that at all. Even Eheim's own site does not mention it, though I can find them for sale...

Archived