Can someone tell me what the best (and cheapest) way of sending a microworm starter culture? I thought one way to go would be to collect the MWs without any culture medium and put them in some damp paper towel in a zip lock bag. That way they would still be pretty flat and can be sent in a normal sized envelope for 50 cents. If I include culture medium I'd have to find a leak proof container and the package would be bigger as well. Thoughts?

I hadnt thought of sending them like that. Might be worth giving it a shot fo find out of it works!

I have sent them before in a fish bag. The thing i would see a problem with is not giving them enough oxygen and them dying. You can get a prepaid satchel at the post office that is $5.10 that covers all over australia, its cheaper than express but you can blow the bag up with enough air that they should travel fine.

Didn't think of the oxygen issue. I think I might put some in a zip lock bag for a couple of days to see if they survive.

I sent Limmo some MW on a bit of medium, double-bagged in plastic ziplock bag, had some air but was mostlty flat, rolled up the bag and put it in a normal envelope. Apparently it took a long time to reach her, and they survived!

Thanks Stefan. I think the ziplock bag is definitely worth a try.

Is that your hand, Ned? So clean! And such a nicely manicured thumb nail. Oh but, welcome to the digital world, Ned. Who's got film canisters anymore? :P

haha no my fingers are short and fat like cute little frankfurt saussages. hahaha yeah i know hey, welcome to the digital world... some people do have some lying around somewhere i suppose. the old schoolers and stuff.

Ooh, ooh....microworms...where can I get them please? Any stores in Sydney, or perhaps from one of you guys??

Thanks!

Finley

I did have a culture going before I went on holidays. Not sure yet what condition they're in. Jodi sells starter culture as well.

I'll need a new lot too, I'm sure someone around here will have them. They are such needy little critters, don't like my diet of neglect ^_^