building fishroom -- insulation

edie

Hi All, Finally I get permission to use the garage for the fish room, but we don't want to blow the electricity bills (which currently I have been :D ). So, I'm thinking to make small insulation box big enough to put all my tanks etc in there and spacey enough for me to get in and enjoy them. Any ideas what to do/buy/anything??? Thanks :D

depends on your budget, how good your scrounging skills are and the level of your handyman ability! Ideas: *Cold room panelling is the ultimate. You can make a fully insulated box within the garage. *Build an internal wall blocking off one corner - line with villa board (not plaster board) and triple coat with full gloss enamel. *Hang some heavy curtains from the ceiling to hold in the heat around where the tanks are. *Line the entire garage with cold room grade Styrofoam. Remember to insulate the ceiling – either in the roof cavity or by attaching the Styrofoam. Whatever you do you will have to replace some part of the house when you leave! Cheers, someone

Now, that's quite a list for me :) Gotta find out what they are first....i'm not as handy on doing this stuff, but nevertheless I'm not afraid of challenges either LOL. J, how much did it cost u to do yours?

I have seen people use freezer shipping containers. They are insulated and if you get one that has had the freezer unit taken off they can be quite cheep. Especially if you compare the price with building a new room. It’s just like putting in a shed but it comes in one piece.

Now that's even better! But where they h*ck can I find such container? And would they fit into the garage? I can imagine to have a tow truck or one of those heavy equipment back tracking to my garage LOL

umm, probably way too big for a garage! Do the yellow pages thing and see if you can find a styro manufacturer in your area. They will cut foam to size for you. If you can afford it, go for cold room grade - it is a lot denser and doesn't break and scatter as much. When last I bought some sheets, they were $145/m3. (that was several years back) If you don't mind sticking layers together, some manufacturers will give you "skim sheets". They are uneven in thickness, but great for tank bases. Helps if you are female and look good in a short skirt! (ok, so it worked for me!) All I could stuff into the car and free!! Cheers, J

Archived