Planted Tank Journal

Hi Everyone.

My next project is planting my 4x2x2 ft tank.

The tank has curved glass front corners and i have just recieved my metal halide lighting unit that i plan to set up on the weekend hopefully.

Currently there is a substrate of white washed river sand (mixed with river gravel) and 4 nice pieced of driftwood.

Filtration is by 2x 1500L/H cannisterfilters, and all of this stuff is hidden in the cabinet.

The tank has been set up for about 2months now, but i have had to lay off doing anything for the last 6 or so weeks due to my accident. If it were up to me the MH light would be up already but i cant lift it so have to get my Dad to do it for me.

Not sure how i will go with choosing plants, i guess that will just happen as the tank goes along.

Current fish are:

Cardinal tetras

Rummy nose tetras

Rosy tetras

Bleeding heart tetras

Congo tetras

Angelfish

Panda cories

Pleco catfish

I plan to add some more congo tetras and mabey some rainbowfish. The pleco might have to go. He is about 15cm and is leading me to belive that he is abit destructive towards the plants, but we will see :)

Filling it up in the beginning:

100_7008.jpg

Here is how the tank currently looks:

tankwithdriftwoodbetterpic.jpg

To be continuted....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so exciting!

Question time :D

Are you planning on it being a natually heavily planted tank or Amano like Aquascaped?

Have you got any themes in mind?

Are you going with DIY C02 or some other system?

Will the hood be left on or take off or with MH hanging over the top?

Are you planning on it being a natually heavily planted tank or Amano like Aquascaped?

Well i am not sure at the moment. I am thinking of keeping the back half of the tankplanted thickly, and the front half with a low spreading groundcover type plant. I want to cover most of the wood with Java moss. Thats as far as i have gotten.

Have you got any themes in mind?

Nope not yet :D

Are you going with DIY C02 or some other system?

Yep DIY at first. The MH lights cost enough so will leave it a while before i work out my next big spend.

Will the hood be left on or take off or with MH hanging over the top?

Im loosing the black hood you can see in the first photo and leaving it open at the moment. Might make an open top hood later on but am not sure. MH's would most likely be hung from the roof with the cables that came with it. That looks pretty cool aswell i think :D

Suggestoins are welcomed people!! :D

OOhh k

Yesterday i put java moss over the driftwood. That took about an hour. Used fishing line to hold it on. Also got today a 'driftwood Creation' with a huge bobulis fern. Ive always wanted one of these ferns but this is the first one i have seen around in about 3 years so i was sure to buy it, luckily the shop had a 20% sale on their plants so that was even better!!

Here is updated pic. Not very clear, but shows whats going on :D

tank12Mayo7.jpg

Cheers Phil

I like the idea of swords throughout this tank. A few larger feature, swords and smaller coloured ones.

(P.s took out this post about MH in general as this is Phils Tank Log Try to keep too questions/answers that is relevant to Phils thread)

I disn't mean just grow swords, but for am amazon type tank I'd stick to plants with vertical/structural habits, rather than mixing with pennywort and wisteria and other amorphous lumps of fine leaved stem plants. I'd probably avoid val, but maybe a clump of twisted val in a corner would be a good foil to the echinodorus' growth habits.

Going to hopefully do some plant shopping on saturday so it can start moving. Halides have been going since monday and the fish have adjusted.

Big praise to my pleco. he does a great job stripping the algae from the glass. I watched him just the plow along the sand line riping it off :P

Since there isnt much plant wise to update, here are 2 pics of some of the fish :P:

angels.jpg

congotetras.jpg

Cheers Phil

Thankyou :P i love my angels.

I picked 10 of them out of a tank of about 150 of them the day they cleared quarrantine. I got a few of the spotty ones like in the pic above and a few regular striped ones, i went for the ones with the best shaped fins. All of the angels we get from that exporter are amazingly beautiful quality, you wonder where all those horrible ones in the pet shops come from.

I came across that website the other day actually, cant remember how tho. Nice selection and i might end up getting a few select plants from there.

Will wait and see what saturday brings first :P

Yep will do that today. I want to go and see if i can find a few more today :)

Yesterday i got a bunch of Willow Hygro, a bunch of this super fine vallis, and some wierd pink thing that cost a fortune but was half rotted (which i obviously didnt know) so hopefully the single tip i saved will continue to grow!!

Fish wise, i got:

10 longfin serpae tetras - these guys are amazing!

2 Red Rhadnocentris 'Teewak' Rainbow fish - stunning and hefty price tag!! but i had to have them

8 Pencil Fish - very nice and different schooling fish

1 Pair of brilliantly coloured kribs from Lilli

Pics to follow :)

Ok no photos happening tonight because i need to clean both sides of the glass.

But here is the unknown plant i got yesterday. Most of the bunch was rotted (big bunch of 2 pieces!!) so i just ended up with one tip. Hopefully it will come good. It is a pretty amazing coloured plant, its purple!!

plantauburn.jpg

Also added today:

1 Apogeoneton crispus

2 Banana lilies

1 Sword plant 'tropica'

1 Bunch of hornwart (not sure if this will stay tho)

1 Bunch of Hemianthus micranthemoides or Pearl Grass.

I bought a phosphate pillow aswell to help prevent an algae bloom if it happens.

So thats about it for today :)

clean the glass first, though :)

OMG I didn't even notice the glass! All I saw were the Altums!! LOL

Those arent proper Altums, they Are peruvian altums which are a strain of regular angels that look like altums.

I love it! An aquarium strain of lookalike Altums. Would they be cheaper and easier to look after? Can I ask how much you paid for them?

Archived