fairy shrimps?

Celeste84

ok i was having a look at aquabid and i noticed a new product - fairy shrimp eggs!

apparently it's basically a freshwater version of brine shrimps, and doesn't need aeration or salt to hatch - only warm water. it says the naupilii will live in the tank for up to 3 days before they need to be fed. they're not very expensive either ($5us for 2oz + $2.50us shipping).

this sounds so good to someone like me who's hopeless at hatching brine shrimps :P

so what i was wondering is if anyone has used these before, or knows someone who has?? i like the idea of them, but i'm not sure about how good they'll ACTUALLY be....

You would have to pay to have them gamma irradiated. When they took my fish food, they just said "we have seized your *insert item here* and will destroy the item in 45 days, unless you give us written notice to return the item to it's destination at your own expense".

It might be worth it if they're pretty cheap. If they seize it, I wouldn't recommend attempting that again though, they might fine for a 2nd attempt, especially if you get warned.

:) i'll give it a go then, and then if they get siezed, i'll see if someone can get them in ^_^;;

and i've never had to pay for treatment before?? all my IAL i get from singapore get gamma radiated as they come through (i know cause i get the "how we treated you import as it came through customs" pamphlets each time :);; ) but i've never had a warning about it before, it's just kinda like a service that's part of the import?

:) i'll give it a go then, and then if they get siezed, i'll see if someone can get them in ^_^;;

and i've never had to pay for treatment before?? all my IAL i get from singapore get gamma radiated as they come through (i know cause i get the "how we treated you import as it came through customs" pamphlets each time :);; ) but i've never had a warning about it before, it's just kinda like a service that's part of the import?

Are you telling me I could have been importing IAL this whole time?! I was wondering where you guys all get it from! Hrmmmm.... do you buy it only from Singapore? Through aquabid or ebay?

look/search in the classifieds for IAL, I think someone in Aust offered to supply it not so long ago.

Maybe someone should contact customs and quarantine before we try and bring these things in? I'd hate to think we got something past the keeper which brought some contagion with it! Especially as these are fresh water organisms, so that any dormant pathogens would be readily transferable to the freshwater fish we'd be feeding them to.

Well, what do you make of this?

http://icb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/45/5/715

Artemia cysts seem to be able to tolerate high doses of UV and ionising radiation. Is the same true for these fairy shrimp? After all, brine shrimp are just another form of fairy shrimp and they do appear to have similar reproductive/life cycles to the freshwater species...

by the way Shannon, you can just look on Ebay and Aquabid for IAL, albeit paypal is often required but you get so much for so little $$ its worth it. i got 400 large leaves sent, in less than a week, for $14 US :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo..... no fairy shrimp then? Hmm... maybe I should try to get my flight attendant brother to bring some in. That way he can make sure all the forms are filled out. What forms have to be filled out? Do we know for sure that it's ok to bring them in?

Importing Brine Shrimp requires a special permit, so I am pretty sure the fairy shrimp will require the same. There are similar critters available in local waterways - not sure about a commercial source though.

The IAL will get in provided they are CLEAN and free from bugs etc. The shrimp most likely will not.

NO FISH FOOD can be legally brought in without an import permit.

Cheers, J

unh i emailed quarantine and they sent me back something about "bait" ^_= i didn't understand it at all as i wasn't after fish bait. so i just gave it up as a "you prolly have to import it just like brine shrimps", i was gonna wait until someone was a little less busy as ask her about that :(;

Archived