FANCY GUPPIES

Callatya

I found them at a shop in Modbury (pm for shop name). Erm, I wormed mine and 1 died after it dropped a massive worm overnight *ewww* So I would errr on the side of precaution. Or be prepared to treat them in QT for a month at least a mointh and worm them good and proper. *grossed out that I have festies*

robbie!!! between you and me, we'd make a great pair... i have a chronic fear of earthworms (i see them and i run a mile) but i have no problems with all the fishy worms or snakes or anything else that resembles the scary earthworms......

add denmother (bundy) into the mix by throwing blackworms at her and i think all hell breaks loose.. LOL you'll definately have your bottom tattooed :) hmm... are guppies shipable? I was just thinking, there's some aquariums here in melb which has fairly awesome ones lately.. and if people want, i'll be the weirdo taking pics for them and if it tickles anyone's fancy i'll send them away

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to pick this tread up late! But hey I just joined I need to catch up :cheer:

I am currently trying to establish pure strains of:

Black Moskow

Black Tuxedo

Neon Blue Tuxedo

Green Snakeskin

Redtail Cobra

gave up on Yellow Mikalef and might stop breeding Green Snakeskin.

The Black Moskows have massive tails but they do not get as big as I would like. So working on keeping the colour and the tail size while trying to add bulk. I will experiment with crossing with the black tux in one line.

The Black Tuxedo has very solid colour but the tail shape is not consistant enough for my liking. Over two generations I managed to increase the extend of the black on the body. My main aim is to eventually split to strain into two complementary lines with one as Extended Black Tux and the other Black Tux so that I can peroidically cross the lines to maintain vigour.

Neon Blue Tux, for some reason I like the way this fish looks from above.

Posted Image

I would like to develop this strain so that 2-3 months of the year I can have 50-60 males swimming in my pond. I think they'll look pretty good in there. Currently the pond has Gold Whiteclouds in it. Whiteclouds actually managed to overwinter in there despite what Canberra had to throw at them during the last so many months.

The Green Snakeskin, though I like it that there are too many directions I can take the strain - due to variation I get among the offspring, because it requires first for me to make a decision and than trying to establish it I am more inclined to let it go.

Posted Image

The Redtail Cobra was my first strain, I pretty much breed this to sell back to the shops, so eventually I might let them go. Though I managed to put in really good size into the strain over 3 generations. I am also trying to intensify the red.

All the strains are kept seperate and all the drops (birth/batch) are raised in their own tanks. Sexes are seperated quite early on so that when I set breeders up I know exact parentage of the drops. Detailed notes are kept.

I got the breeding stock from various shops in Canberra therefore even though phenotypically (=physical appearence) they might look alike you never know as far as the genetypically. Hence my blue line threw very nice but useless greens, pastel yellows and even reds. I am working on cleaning them up. i suppose it is a long winded way of getting pure strains but when they are established they'll be my lines. The Black Moskows as an exception. I got the moskows from a friend here who has been working on them for 3-4 generations. The tails are amazing almost HM ;) No worries carrying the tail but the body size is small.

Archived