What The Heck Is That Floatin In My Tank...?

tgo576231

hey all

yeah long time no see - yeah im sooo slack eh...

i have 2 new fishies... Fishh and Chipp....

i did a 100% WC on both yesterday as Chipps tank was icky (the purple waffle plant had blue green lookin algae in it and smelt a treat :eadshake:

well tonite i went to feed them and theres a residue/scum/oil slicky look substance floating on top of both tanks.... i have no idea what it would be.... one tank has a heater and one doesnt - so i am assuming that its not from water being heated....??

when i did WC i ph tested and also used water conditioner stuff + also put a drop of that water blue stuff in it...

i am currently feeding them a Penn Plax product called Pro Balance (comes in a "E-Z Measure Cap that prevents overfeeding<------ yeah what if you have 1 000 000 fish in ur tank hehe)

any ideas or suggestions peeps?

i'd ask y2jdaze - but she isnt home from work yet..... <_<

Most likely some type of biofilm, supposedly excess proteins and bacteria having a good old much.

Its not a problem providing its not so thick as to limit the oxygen exchange. you should be able to pick it up by laying a piece of paper or paper towel across the water surface. :eadshake:

yup, thats the stuff. I tend to get it if I overfeed or feed high protein foods like worms, or if the fish is unwell and/or shedding bits of fin or slime coat.

Is there maybe remnants of rotting plant or algae in there?

Just change the water out and start again :eadshake: It looks far worse than what it is <_<

(but do just watch Chipp for a few days in case his health is the cause)

purple waffle is a "bunch plant" These are bog plants, not true aquatics. Think of "bunch plants" as you would a bunch of cut flowers. They are pretty and add colour to your tank, but will last about a month at best. Some do better than others, but anything with non-green areas in the leaves needs high light to do well.

If you want to put a plant in your betta tank, use plants like java moss, java fern, anubius, crypts, hornwort, elodea, milfoil etc. Choose one to suit the light conditions in your tank.

HTH J

By the looks of the photo it is an algal growth.

This is usually caused by two things; - too much light or too much food.

Cut back on both and see what happens.

If both your tanks are small bowls as in the photo I would get rid of any live plant and only put in small plastic/silk plant for decoration.

As someone said the "Purple Waffle is not an aquatic and fall to pieces in a couple of weeks leaving your tank with an over abundance of food for algae to grow on.

You say you have goldfish and never had the problem - that is understandable as goldfish are algae eaters.

Graeme

Archived