Ornaments - What Is/isn't Suitable? Lego Maybe?

Dibba

Feeling a little inspired today (mostly thanks to some pics that I have seen on these forums!) and am thinking of coming up with a novelty tank design to appeal to my teenage son. I was contemplating something along the lines of a space/Star Wars theme and I was wondering if anyone has used action figures, ornaments or even Lego models that are obviously not specifically designed for aquariums? Of course I don't want to use anything that is going to be in any way harmful to the fish but if they can be used the possibilities would be endless! Di

Steer clear of anything metallic, or anything that has paint applied. Action figurines might be problematic, as it's impossible to tell what's been used in the plastic or finishes. You can get instant WOW! by using a hologram or foil finish wrapping paper as a background. And clear acrylic objects should be safe to use -- I bet if you let your imagination run wild you could improvise all kinds of spacey-looking bits :lol:

Lego makes its way into sump filters a lot as bio-media, so it'd be fine in a tank setup. Do keep in mind though that you are either going to be trapping air or water inside the hollow bricks, and anaerobic versions of either can be toxic upon release. I'd consider drilling a small hole in each brick to allow some movement.

Also, consider Habitrail components, mouse house decor (mouse wheel?) Happy Meal and cake decorating figurines (watch the colour application) ballpoint pen bodies, cooking utensils, sandcastle buckets - possibly even create a mould first out of earthenware clay, bisque fire it, smother in silicone and throw sand at it, then use the sand as the substrate also- and spades, marbles, glass paperweights, some glass beads, nylon fishing line, boat and fishing accessories (fenders, nets, floats, etc), wine bottles and corks (maybe add a wooden airstone for sparkling wine?).... the list goes on :lol:

I had a brilliant plan for a tank once, it was a full Phantom of the Opera theatre setup, complete with external red velvet curtains :lol:

This is as far as I got :D

http://fishpics.shesapples.net/displayimag...m=20&pos=15

Its a coaster, some gems, some blown glass decorator floats and fishing line. The funky background makes it work though :)

Archived