Heater

Robbies Betta

well um.... yeah, I kinda unplugged the wrong heater, took it out of the tank and put in on a plastic container. which about 30 mins later I found to have melted through, and now there is burnt plastic all over the heater. is the heater still usuable? it was a stainless steel one, and still heats the water properly, but I was just worried about the chemicals from the plastic buring when it's in the water? I've out it into an empty tank and switched it on, and there is now white scunge all over the tank. do you think I should just wash it out, and keep doing it until there is no more white crap?

what you can do before sinking it and letting the last chemicals flow out is cool it down and use a plastic/nylon scourer (those stuff to clean dishes), and gently remove the patches of plastic left. once done i believe u can put it into a tub of water and crank it up to 30. i believe after a week or so (changing waters) you should be fine.

• 1 month later...

yeah - if it's hot - just unplug and let cool reeeallll slow. Thank goodness heaters are about 1/4 the price they used to be!

If it's a steel heater, perhaps putting in an ice slurry to make the plastic brittle and easy to chip off? ( have the heater switched off of course!!!)

Just a thought.

Cheers, J

when i had my tanks inside i cleaned them out and well .. a week later i commented that next door has been burning a lot of toast lately as i can smell something around breaky every morning for the last few days ???? you gessed it a big hole in the carpet as i forgot to put heater in water .. lucky the carpet was a bit ignition proof and the heaters thermastat still worked out of water . Chance was with us that day .... this is a tale of when you get older you forget things.... :)

Archived