Hi I'm New From Sunny Melbourne

fish4nic

Hi everyone Nicole from Regent in Melbourne which is near Preston Reservoir Coburg area. My daughters and I have caught the "OOps addicted to Betta's" bug and we are interested in finding some local breeders. At the moment we have 4 boys and 3 girls and 1 that was sold to me as a girl but is really aggressive, builds bubble nests and attacks constantly...so maybe she is a he? (now quarantined). Looking forward to being a member of this forum. cheers Nic :)

Hi Nicole, great to meet you. What type of bettas are they? Sounds like one may be a plakat male.

Hi Lilli

Boys

Two large veil tales

Blue

Red and blue fins/tail with pearlescent body

Two crown tails

Blue/green

Butterfly Boy - pearlescent blue white head

Girls

brownish blue

reddish blue

greenish blue

Boy/Girl......So how how can I tell whether this fish is a girl or a plakat male? Is the best way to tell behavior?

metallic steel blue

Also we used to have an all red male called "fiddy" who died from fungus and "Angel" a white crown female with red tinges who died a horrible death. Icame home one day to find her on the bottom of the female tank with her eyes and stomach having been eaten by boy/girl. I was horrified!......and very sad as she was my fav girl :D

I am hoping to find another white girl and boy eventually :)

Please excuse my terminology as I am a newbie I have probably got it all wrong....but I will get the hang of it...eventually ;)

Nic

:D

Welcome, Nicole!

You can search the forum to find the information you need, and if you cant, you can make a new post. In the articles section there are some very good articles about bettas that should hopefully answer your questions http://www.ausaqua.net/articles.html :)

I'm am a breeder in Reservoir and I should have a few spawns for sale in several months time.

Cheers ;)

Hi Nicole, Welcome to AAQ. I live out at Thomastown. I want to breed but keep buying new fish and not finding the time. ^_^ We've got Plakats and CT's mostly and some community fish, gouramis, minnows, corydoras and bristlenose. This site has been great for me. Just being able to read about other people experiences and advice is really helpful. Good luck and enjoy. ^_^ Erin.

We've got Plakats and CT's mostly and some community fish, gouramis, minnows, corydoras and bristlenose. This site has been great for me. Just being able to read about other people experiences and advice is really helpful. Good luck and enjoy. ^_^ Erin.

Hey Nicole,

Our community tank has pearl gouramis they share a 3ft tank with a couple of female bettas courtesy of 'Bren MacFish' and a male PK (I wouldn't have any of my other males in there but he is so meek the only thing he'll attack is a snail, if it's not moving too fast :P ). A leopard cory and a bristlenose help clean up and a small school of white cloud minnows dart around everywhere. These gouramis haven't been a problem, I have read that pearls are easy-going and easier to keep than dwarfs but I've never kept dwarves. A gourami will occasionally give the cory a nudge (no nipping), I think maybe because they have very similar markings.

Next week I should have some sparkling gouramis, more bristlenose and leopard cory's and some glass shrimp arriving. I think this will put our tank at max. capacity.

I would post the pics up but they are a bit heavy for others out there on dial-up like me. Here our some more pics of our community tank, might give you some ideas. And some of our boy betta's

Good luck with your community tank, I see lots of research in your future :P

Erin

Hi Ezza Great to meet you. Thanks for sharing your tank set-up and fish....WOW :D:D:D I'd love to have a tank like that one day :whistling: I've just set up one of those aqua one all in one units and started cycling.......in hindsight I much prefer the wider units rather than deeper. :D But who knows how far this little obsession is going to take me....I might just get my dream tank yet. BTW where abouts in Melbourne are you? nic :fish:

We're out at Thomastown. We only got our first tank six months ago. It was one of those tall all-in-one setups. Some of the fish in our community tank used to live in it. The male PK, the cory, bristlenose, a swordtail and female CT's. It all worked well but the cory is really enjoying the space in a larger tank and we can't wait to get him some friends. Have 3 other tanks for the fighters :D A couple more months and all the surfaces in your house will have tanks for your bettas :whistling: erin

eeerm actually my lounge room also has 5 smaller tanks to house my boys, the mantle piece holds the girls tank and now the all in one on the side table and more fish on the way:blush: All this in two months....my hubby is just quietly freaking out :D don't know what his problem is he has XBOX I have fish and dogs and children and a cat :whistling: If you don't mind me asking who is your LFS? :D

:) :rant: I'm sure a lot of us can relate. Closest LFS to me is 'Ricks Aquarium', I also go to 'Upmarket Pets' in North Melbourne. My current lot of fish (Sparkling Gourami's, Corydoras Leopardus, bristlenose, glass shrimp and some larger shrimp) and plants are coming from LiveFish.com. Haven't used them before but they've been helpful and are throwing in some free stuff for me :rant: so I guess I'll see what turns up. :((

Closest LFS to me is 'Ricks Aquarium', I also go to 'Upmarket Pets' in North Melbourne.

:)

So funny!

Been to both of those places

Don't mind Ricks as he seems quite passionate.....maybe a little pricey.....and he makes me feel like a doofus :) ...but much nicer when you don't have any kids :((:((

Upmarket pets......well depends who you get really and advice largely dependant on who you ask...also very messy IMO. :rant:

Anyway I had basically no idea what was available untill I started looking here and on other ppls sites.... :rant: FANTASTIC.

cheers

Nic

:)

Know what you mean on both counts. I generally drop in for little bits of equipment or to see what's in stock. Do get some useful tips, but had a guy in one LFS trying to sell me sponge filters last week saying they were the some as corner filters, which I wanted. What ever happened to the customer is always right? :) Erin

Hi Lilli

Boys

Two large veil tales

Blue

Red and blue fins/tail with pearlescent body

Two crown tails

Blue/green

Butterfly Boy - pearlescent blue white head

Girls

brownish blue

reddish blue

greenish blue

Boy/Girl......So how how can I tell whether this fish is a girl or a plakat male? Is the best way to tell behavior?

metallic steel blue

Also we used to have an all red male called "fiddy" who died from fungus and "Angel" a white crown female with red tinges who died a horrible death. Icame home one day to find her on the bottom of the female tank with her eyes and stomach having been eaten by boy/girl. I was horrified!......and very sad as she was my fav girl :D

I am hoping to find another white girl and boy eventually :o

Please excuse my terminology as I am a newbie I have probably got it all wrong....but I will get the hang of it...eventually :D

Nic

:D

Im Colourfulbettas and i'm new too

Im only just learning the short words and what the different words mean

( with the help of my brother ( bluebetta ) :lookaround: )

Archived