The Age Of Aquariums - Bio - Chemical Sponge Filter

splendidbetta

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod465.htm

Has anyone used this kind of filter before? How do they connect to an airline? I don't want to use a powerhead, so I need to use an airpump (connected to an airline connected to the filter). Can anyone help me? Is there a small tube on the base of the filter that the airline can attach to? Or is the airline shoved down the pipe like it is in an undergravel filter?

And then how does it work; water flows into the sponge and out through the clear plastic pipe into the tank? Is the pipe supposed to be fully submerged?

The filter would be for a spawn tank, of course, so an airline would be needed anyway.

Thanks in advance.

I have them in some of my tanks, I don't use the clear tube as in my eel tank the water level isn't high enough. There's a little thing at the top of the filter that you connect the air tube to and it bubbles away slowly. Not sure how exactly it works but they do a good job.

I have two of those and another of a different model. The air hose goes in the top and connects to a diffuser or bubbler down in the sponge and the act of the air bubbles escaping back up thru the tube draws the water in thru the sponge and up and out thru the tube with the air. You just put a tap on the air line to slow it down or speed it up. I use it in my fry tanks, and in my natural planted tank, the sponge rarely needs cleaning (which is just be a swish around in a bucket of old tank water, anyway) and go for years. Basically it gives a good home for good bacteria to flourish and removes some sediment from the water column, it won't keep your tank clean like a high powered filter.

I have three in my spawn tanks and they are pretty much no-fuss filters. Take the plastic pipe off when the water level is really low (like Em said). I love that they have such a huge surface area for bacteria and are gentle enough on fry. :)

have over 40 of them in use. very good biological filters. no idea where the "chemical" bit in the ad comes from. The biomax has a carbon insert, these do not. They hold a surprising amount of waste - get very heavy and almost solid when cleaning required. Not as good as box filters for clearing particulate matter.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a couple of these as well, they work well as a pre-filter on HOB filters, i use them on my splish-splash tanks :) quite good at growing java moss on them too.

I have just bought 2 of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Bio-Sponge-Filt...VQQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone know if they are ok or not?

I am a bit confused as to how to put them in my betta tanks... I see where the air hose goes, but what is that top part?? It is called a Manifild Adapter, cap on the back of the packaging.

Any Ideas guys??

Just FYI, at my lfs today I noticed they had in a new brand of sponge filter -- I think it's "XY" brand (stands for Xiang You or something similar). Anyway, they have a really nifty teensy filter for small tanks. It's got the sponge mounted horizontally, and a very short outlet tube. The whole thing would be about 12 - 15 cm high. It would be perfect for single betta tanks and spawning tanks. Costs $7.95.

Archived