Air Breathing Sub-aquatic Plants For Spawn Tank?

Can anyone suggest some fast-growing, hardy, easy-to-find, sub-aquatic, air-breathing plants that I can use in betta spawn/growout tanks?

I don't mind reed-type plants but something leafy would be nice.

What do you think of water lettuce? Would that be effective?

Also, would the plant need to be potted? If so, what media would I use that won't leach toxins into the water?

BTW, This is a follow up from here: http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3440&hl=

Thanks in advance :thumbs:

Water lettuce is good (dunno if it's legal in Vic) if you're getting some sunlight - otherwise it'll rot, dropping its roots first.

I've had success indoors with lucky bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana), devils ivy (Epipremnum aureum), "white butterfly" (Syngonium podophyllum), peace lily (Spathiphyllum friedrichsthalii) and to a lesser extent chinese evergreen (Aglaonema modestum). I'm keen to try some Cordylines (Mark's suggestion :)) and other Aglaonemas when I umm find some :thumbs: . I don't use any growing media for these (other than snail poo and fish pee).

thought id give you some inspiration, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-al...st-peace-7.html (third post from the top specifically but check out the other pages in the thread) you could create an in-tank overflow, and stuff it full of hydroponics media and ensure the plants get adequate light.

everyone should know peace lilly's they are the plants that are commonly seen in betta vases...

Hey Stefan most plants that you buy for aquariums will grow above water you will want to look at plants with a woodier stem if you want it grow upright rather than just float across the top of the water swords will grow above water (radican sword looks good) i have a couple growing in my pond java fern will also grow out of the water but may need a moist atmosphere ? the plants will need to adapt to being grown out of the water and may change in color and also changes in there leaves from submersed to emersed styled leaves also not sure what light requirements would be needed water lettuce can be obtained from broadmeadows bunnings or try your local nursery rather than your lfs Ray

Archived