Hey Everyone!

Elise

Hi Guys, My name is Elise and I am an 18 year old girl, living between Gympie and Brisbane QLD, depending on whether it is in the university semester or not. :(

I was introduced to this forum by Bekkaz, and I really have an interest in Betta's which has just been made stronger by my latest purchase. I bought this last fish from a breeder and have had so much more luck than with previous fish I have purchased from pet stores. This guy really has a personality and it may sound silly to some of the more experienced and serious breeders, but hes just great to have around.

I have always had an interest in breeding Betta's but have never really had the time or opportunity. But I also now have the urge to try and come up with mini versions of my current Betta male. :lol: So now that it is holidays from university and I am at home with a lovely tank all empty and just calling out to be a spawning tank, I am definately interested in trying my hand at breeding. Of course, first of all I need to find a girlfreind for my male and get together all the necessities. So I am open to as much help and suggestions as you guys can give me.

I am hoping that someone might be able to suggest a suitable type of female, and point me towards some people who may have some nice girls for sale. I am also hoping to find a petstore who is willing to order me in some microworm starter cultures or baby brine shrimp eggs, as I have been reading the forums and believe that these are pretty much the two necessities for the baby fry.

I will post some pictures of my guy, who I believe was a nice buy for $5, but I have no doubt that he is unsuitable and would not fit the criteria for a breeding Betta, but I am sure I am not the only person who likes the veil tails. So, I would love for your opinions on him and my future plans for 'hopefully' some mini 'Friday's.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I appologise for the glare spots caused by the lights on the tank. And the slight kink in his anal fin is from previous damage to the tail, he used to love throwing about the stones on the bottom of his tank and unfortunately this caused me alot of greif trying to repair tattered fins!

I would also love to learn how to make him flare when you wish like so many people seem to be able to do with their Betta's.

I obviously have alot to learn about the Betta scene here in Australia, but I am extremely interested and hope to learn alot and meet alot of you soon!

<3 - Elise

Wlecome Elise! i am new to breeding them as well and through this forum i have learnt (and still is :( ) a lot. i ams ure you will find your stay here very very delightful! As for specs and all i will leave the more knowledgeable people to give you starters! :lol: Also there is a "Breeding Bettas" link in the main forum page which contains loads of information as well!! Cheers!

Hey :no: that male looks almost the same as my very 1st Betta all of 4 and a half years ago! though my boy i'm pretty sure didn't have as much red in his fins and was a bit darker :no: a tip on getting them to flare, just get a mirror and stick it up against the tank, he should flare at himself without much encouragement :) this is because they think their reflection is anoher fish :P i haven't started breeding yet but i'mi planning to, i'm sure you'll find lots of help here, i know i have! ~Stacey

Thankyou so much for all the welcomes everyone! I was quite sure that you might discourage me from breeding with him, as I figured that VT's were fairly looked down apon in the Betta world. I am looking foward to buying a nice female though, and giving it all a try. I have a great tank and all that sort of equiptment ready, just need the female and the fry food. ;) I understand that the veil tail is quite dominant over most other types of betta, but I am hoping that I may get one or two fry that take after their mum! Thanks for everyones comments on my male too, lol, of course I think hes gorgeous! But compared to some of the fish I have seen while browsing these forums.. well! lol!

I was quite sure that you might discourage me from breeding with him, as I figured that VT's were fairly looked down apon in the Betta world.

Never! IMO they really do look awesome! They may or may not be "out there" inthe show cases, but i do like them a lot, in fact i do have two spawns of these guys right now ( though one is an accident ;) ). IMHO any betta that is not too old or complicated, would be a great betta to start up with!

When I am in Brisbane I live on campus at the University of Qld, so as you probably know, in St Lucia. :lol: I won't have my breeding setup there though as I simply don't have the space in my tiny room. The fish them become my parents babies and I take will take a few favourites back with me for on my desk. Thanks for the offer, I may be able to get some Delta or Super Delta female to use which might end up with some spectacular looking fins! :D