Pricing Quality Bettas.

splendidbetta

I've been noticing some variation in how much a good quality, breeder and show-type betta should be sold for.

How much would you sell each of the types below, if they were all breeder and show quality, best of spawn fish? I think if we can determine this, it will prevent inexperienced hobbyists being ripped off with sub-standard fish at high prices.

Halfmoon male:

Halfmoon female:

HMPK, Symmetrical PK (Shortmoon) male:

HMPK, Symmetrical PK (Shortmoon) female:

Halfmoon Plakat male (Modern Show Plakat):

HMPK, Modern Show Plakat female:

Traditional PK male:

Traditional PK female:

CT male, 180* spread, good ray splitting and web reduction:

CT female, 180* spread, good ray splitting and web reduction:

HM DT male:

HM DT female:

Remember, a breeder or show quality fish has great clean color (even patterned ones), and great finnage.

Just QUOTE this post and erase the QUOTE TAGs, and then add your pricing.

Cheers. :blink: :fish:

Halfmoon male: Usually no more than $30, but mainly about $20.

Halfmoon female: Usually no more than $30, but mainly about $20.

HMPK, Symmetrical PK (Shortmoon) male: Usually no more than $30, but mainly about $20.

HMPK, Symmetrical PK (Shortmoon) female: Usually no more than $30, but mainly about $20.

Halfmoon Plakat male (Modern Show Plakat): $20

HMPK, Modern Show Plakat female: $15 - $20

Traditional PK male: $15 - $20

Traditional PK female: $10 - $15

CT male, 180* spread, good ray splitting and web reduction: $15 - $20

CT female, 180* spread, good ray splitting and web reduction: $15 - $20

HM DT male: Usually no more than $30, but mainly about $20.

HM DT female: Usually no more than $30, but mainly about $20.

Remember, a breeder or show quality fish has great clean color (even patterned ones), and great finnage.

By the way, this is for Aussie-bred bettas only, not O/S imports.

I don't agree. It will not prevent hobbyists from being ripped off. Each breeder/seller will price their fish to what they feel the fish is worth or what they want. I would only price my bettas a standard charge for OHM/HM and lesser for SD. I am breeding for my own reasons rather then profit. Besides, there are so many factors in the pricing list you have above, you need to factor in colours, parentage and availability - if you want to structure a price. You can't simply structure a price with the above. I would never work off this, I go by my own judgement and want :blink: My 2c worth :fish:

I tend to agree with fae. there are way too many variables are involved to be able set pre-determined prices & profit doesn't interest me at all. Plus I'm all for encouraging the hobby over here - WA doesn't have the hugest breeder base - so I prefer to keep things as low as possible. What I would personally pay for a fish depends on the individual fish itself, why I wanted it and how much I wanted it. Anyone remember the insane prices paid for Coppers when they first became available? :blink:

It can depend who I'm selling to. If it's to another breeder who is going to continue a line I am interested in (and is 99% certain to actually spawn the fish) that factors into the price I would charge the person, because there's something in it for me if the line is continued. I will usually sell juveniles in bulk these days anyway, rather than chraging for individual fish.

it's the "how long is a piece of string" question. Ultimately - price is determined by supply and demand. Let's face it - a hot pink betta with gold tiger stripes and emerald green eyes is going to fetch a fortune, even if it is VT. The only way you can be "ripped off" is if you pay more for a betta than you think it is worth...and who's fault is that? Cheers, J

Archived