Hermit Crabs?

Callatya

THESE ARE AWESOME!

all 3 have now played musical shells within hours of being in the new tank :welcome: The dominant one chose this absolute hummer of a shell, I'll wait til he gets closer to grab a good piccie :)

Here is the submissive one (as opposed to the tiny one who is only really submissive because of his size)

Posted Image

Soz Abbey, I only just found this thread. The hermits and the sand gobies are tough as nails and should eat just about anything on offer, all scavengers. It looks like you're using a silica sand substrate .?.. You might want to keep a peice of coral in there to help buffer the pH (also good for other biotics). I'm not exactly sure what species you've got there but they'd probably appreciate the opportunity to climb above the water surface

They are gobies? great ^_^^_^ They chowed down on a bunch of frozen brine shrimp yesterday, it was hilarious! I haven't seen Mr Ambitious eat yet, but maybe its because he can't drag his thumping great shell over. The tank is (much to my disgust) cycling at the moment, but all inhabitants are coping well. I'm tossing in capfuls of Cycle every 12 hours or so, so hopefully its doing more good than harm. It says saltwater, but I'm not sure I trust it. I am doing this completely backwards (as you might've guessed) and pretty much completely winging it. It went much much smoother in my head. So far only a few whoopses but all 6 critters seem very forgiving. Substrate is what is sold as "Sydney Sand" but it looks like straight silica. There are some shells in there but I'll be grabbing a bunch more shortly, and hopefully some other rubble too. Unsure about LR, but willing to give it a shot. I'm thinking of running a landing net up the back and onto a turtle platform, do you think that would work for surface access?

I'm thinking of running a landing net up the back and onto a turtle platform, do you think that would work for surface access?

The turtle platform sounds ideal, as long as it doesn't give them access to the rest of the world :) . You'll have to take a pic of the setup with the landing net - sounds like an interesting 'jetty angler' type of look :).

Best of luck,

Peter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We had a few plain old hermit crabs. They all died in the end but anyway. We had to have a mesh lid on it cause the would climb up the stuff in the corners get out fall off my desk and go walkies around the house.

That sounded so cute!

I had hermit crabs as my very first pets in Australia - they're really tough!! The lasted a few years under my care - which means they're super tough!!

They can last without food or water for days - or weeks... but I wouldn't be doing that again :P

water change and redecoration day today. I'm still on the hunt for a piece of glass to use to mount the background on, but I've been saving up my polystyrene so we are almost good to start the remodelling! :blink: They'll be so happy!

Archived