Friendly Fishies?

y2jdaze

OK so i wake up this morning... ok this afternoon lol and when i come out to feed my boys in the loungeroom i discover that my yellow VT has somehow managed to jump into the next compartment with my little CT. Neither of them has a mark anywhere and they just seem to be ignoring each other (and i've left them there all day). any ideas why? i expected one would want to kill the other... my CT boy is only a little boy atm but the VT is full size. do you think the CT isn't big enough to pose a threat to the VT or is it because their tails are different so maybe they see each other as a different species? also in the next compartment i've got my steel blue boy... he's madly flaring at the yellow VT and anything else, there is a mirror there as well which the yellow boy flares at but he doesn't flare at either of the others. the CT has flared once that i've seen and it was only half hearted at that... it's just weird!

i once had a CT and HM get in with each other and shred their fins in a big fight so i doubt tail type matters. i'd just say that since the CT is young he's probably deferred to the VT as the alpha male, and the VT wouldn't think of a juvie as a threat so he'd just leave him alone as long as he isn't provoked :)

cool i thought it might be the age difference more than anything else. although i will have to seperate them again because there's really only room for one fish in each compartment! i also thought that since the middle one has the heater he mighta wanted to be warmer... but the outside compartments are still about 24-26 degrees so it's not like they're cold! either way there's lots of bubbles from Sid my yellow boy. another question... my CT boy is a little lethargic, is he just quiet because he's a baby or is there something wrong? or are CTs different from VTs in personality (i've never had one so i don't know)

ct's are generally more aggressive (less finnage, more manouverable). however if he's still a juvie and can see the other two fully grown males he may be stressing out a little and deferring to them as dominant males. can you card him off from them for a little while and see how he goes?

I had my giant x & a LFS opposite one another & they just wanted to kill each other through the divider, then the LFS jumped in & they kept in opposite corners eying one another off but not game to initiate anything...its was all well with the safety of the divider but being young boys once it came to an actual battle they both wussed out :D

quick question on the topic of "friendly fishies". my little fellow with "problems" keeps escaping out of his barrack and into the community tank with all the females. he's half the size of the smallest girl, but slowly growing (especially his tail) and he's taken to flaring at the girls. they leave him alone at the moment (especially considering his giant guardian), but would it be safe to leave him in with them as he grows?? he seems so much happier, and his swimming has improved (from chasing the girls :thumbs: ) but i'm worried they'll turn on him as he gets bigger???

i think i'd agree with that, if they all seem happy leave them be but keep a really good eye on them.. an update on my naughty yellow fishy... he did it again a couple of days ago and today i think he musta been trying to get in there again but this time he missed and ended up behind my shelves!!! silly fishy, he is still alive though i've got him in a small space with a good dose of melafix! and a really good lid!!! lol think in future i'll have to leave a big gap between top of the water and the top of the tank!

Archived