sterilising plants

jumper

nice postings! jsut the queries i had in my mind! now just to add a bit here... how do you sterilize plants n live fish!? if they were int he same tank ( even for a day) that means they have been in contact with the source of infection (w ahtever that is) and no signs of illness surely do not mean that they are completely sterile from it , they might have just a smaller ammount somewhere in their system that may "re-activate" once introduced to the new media?? sorry if am being to long winded but i am getting more skeptical about diseases at this point in time... Joe p.s. : sorry my post didnt add up to help in the previous queries :lookaround: Joe

soaking in bleach no matter the dilution will still do some damage to the plant and new buds/new leaves. I have tried it <_< Snail eggs can be on the roots still - so it's not as nearly effective as PP. It's hard to obtain and it's a realy shame!!

soaking in bleach no matter the dilution will still do some damage to the plant and new buds/new leaves. I have tried it <_<

Snail eggs can be on the roots still - so it's not as nearly effective as PP.

It's hard to obtain and it's a realy shame!!

hmmm i think i will just soak them all on a mid solution for 15 mins.. most of my plants aren"t rooty type either they float or "roam" in a bunch i am yet to find the roots ( spawning moss ) i will just soak them and see what happens... If they turn out brown in a couple of days , might have to think of something else then.

thanks for the replies guys n gals!

Joe

I wouldn't do more than 3 mins. Honestly, I think making a weaker solution and leaving the plants for longer than the 2 mins you would leave them for in a 1:19 bleach solution defeats the purpose... the point is to avoid dead plant bits from happening due to the bleach. If you'll be leaving the plants in for longer you might as well be putting them in a 1:9 for 2mins. Does it make sense to you?

I wouldn't do more than 3 mins. Honestly, I think making a weaker solution and leaving the plants for longer than the 2 mins you would leave them for in a 1:19 bleach solution defeats the purpose... the point is to avoid dead plant bits from happening due to the bleach. If you'll be leaving the plants in for longer you might as well be putting them in a 1:9 for 2mins. Does it make sense to you?

yup it does! thanks!

why are you sterilising the plants again? why not just treat them with whatever medication you used on the condition?

i havent sterilized the plants as yet. i have just been thinking about doing so since i am sterilizing the new aquariums as we speak. since i would imagine that the plants could be carriers of any sorts of nasties as well ( i think)

Quarantining plants for a while works reasonably well, as does tap water with all its chloriney goodness. I also use Alum for snails and anything else that happens to be in the way. You can use bleach, but it takes about 11minutes to penetrate the bugs to kill them (at 20:1 dilution I think that is) so unless your plants can stick it out that long, its pretty pointless anyway. The only things I'd use it on are anubias and java fern, and even then I'd expect some damage.

Archived