Sign in to follow this  
Erren

Shipping Live Fish To Overseas

I think most of us pretty much aware on how to import fish into Australia. Buy you fish from e.g aquabid, Pay for it via Paypal to your seller. Contact someone, fish on quarantine for 2 weeks then pay someone import fees and postage. You get your fishes. But what about shipping our excess fish outside Australia? Is there somekind of system to do that?. Also, what about a once off shipment for your pets? I have shipped my cousin's dog to overseas before using Jetpets. Cost heaps. Almost more than the price of the dog itself. But what about a live fish? Anyone know what cheap carrier to use or whether Jetpets could ship live fish? Ps: Jetpets is basiclly using AAE to ship interstate so don't bother contacting them as they would charge you heaps. Go to AAE straight away. I knew this coz i saw the drivers dropping few crates couples times already

not a clue Erren, i have done that as well shipping dogs overseas, most of the times its cost only outweights due to relationship. unless the other more extremem range which are dogs with exceptional breed line (i.e Champion's line 2 generations ownards on both sides) those get shipped all the time for breeding etc etc. As the gene pool in Australia seems rather small in all animal hobbies :lookaround: . If you do find out something or if someone has any ideas this would be really interesting topic! Joe

Fish are now classed as a live animal so have to be officially exported (though airlines still classify them as perishable, so not as expensive to ship) You will need to get an export permit from AQIS and then book the fish in with the airlines. They have to go as freight – not as baggage. (even if you are travelling on that flight) You cannot legally send fish via Australia Post (international). (your chances of success using this method depends more on the receiving country) Courier companies may carry the fish for you – but you will need the export permit. Some native fish cannot be legally exported. Essentially it’s almost as difficult to get fish out of the country as it is to get them in! Cheers, J

Fish are now classed as a live animal so have to be officially exported (though airlines still classify them as perishable, so not as expensive to ship)

You will need to get an export permit from AQIS and then book the fish in with the airlines. They have to go as freight – not as baggage. (even if you are travelling on that flight)

You cannot legally send fish via Australia Post (international). (your chances of success using this method depends more on the receiving country)

Courier companies may carry the fish for you – but you will need the export permit.

Some native fish cannot be legally exported.

Essentially it’s almost as difficult to get fish out of the country as it is to get them in!

Cheers, J

Do we need to pay for export permit :lookaround: ? If so how much would that cost :dance: . You are saying that we need to book the fish with the airlines. Are you referring to the airlines such as Qantas, Singapore airlines or whatever airlines that we will be travelling on?. Cheers

Permit is around $37AU

Yes, book with a carrier that is going to the country of interest.

i see.I think its probably going to cost $200 in total just to send 5kg of parcel with brocolli size styrofoam box <_< . I just check on AQIS websites and this is the procedure on how to obtain export permit: Click Here

Its basiclly too complicated to ship fish to overseas :rant: .

Since fishes still classified as perishables by airlines would that mean the parcel would be priced based on excess baggages? I think i heard somewhere about this. Also, i read in AQIS websites, it would cost $52 in total for export permit and health certificates (per quater an hour).

So $52 for the export permit and health certificates + the vet fees + airlines fees = min $200 lol! :giggle: .

Edited by Erren

Sign in to follow this