Sign in to follow this  
MissMuffitt

My Betta Is Biting His Tale!

Do you add aquarium salts or Rock salt to your water - this alleviates the stress in Betta's (don't use table salt tho!!) but wow he is been stressed for a week now - is there any electrical appliances near him driving him insane?

Do you add aquarium salts or Rock salt to your water - this alleviates the stress in Betta's (don't use table salt tho!!) but wow he is been stressed for a week now - is there any electrical appliances near him driving him insane?

He is sitting right next to Flame( See above post of the tank setup) and Flame is not stressed at all. No I have not gotten any salt for him as yet... how do I know how much rock salt to put in? I will buy some for him today.

For the 5.7 litre tanks you have - add 1 teaspoon of rock salt (rock salt is much cheaper than aquarium salt from LFS). I agree with some of the other threads you have to place them so they can't see each other at all - if you move the lava lamp to the front or back so they both can see it to stop them from getting bored but place something between to so they can't see each other. Let them see each other for 15 minutes each day. Could you get a couple of floating plants for them to sleep in, it's easier for them to breath that way (I don't think that is whats stressing him tho just an observation).

What sort of floating plant do you suggest? I have them separated with a divider and the lava lamp is at the back of them and both can see it, but not each other.

Ok everyone... I took your advice and have added a teaspoon of rock salt to both of their tanks and have added some floating weed.

They both seem happy about there new plants! :lol:

I have also added a new filter ($10 in Big W) to BluBoys tank and it does not seem to be bothering him at all, I will buy one for Flame on Monday I thing.

What are your opinions of how I have it set up now and do you thing that this will help stop him biting his tale???

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks great! i think they'll be happy little chappy's in no time at all :D

:thumbs: mind he doesn't tear his tail on the plastic plants though.

After all this He is still biting his tale... They both love the plants and lay all over them! I have tried everything you have all said to stop him biting and he is still doing it. I am all out of ideas...

it's like nail biting. He may never stop. Just keep the water clean so it doesn't get infected.

it's like nail biting. He may never stop. Just keep the water clean so it doesn't get infected.

His tale is only about 1 cm long now :giggle:

How will he swim if it is just a stump!!!

He has started chewing the other fins too.....

I will take another pic to show you what I mean.

Posted Image

Edited by MissMuffitt

do you actally see him biting it? Just checking to make sure it's nothing else.

Sign in to follow this