Sign in to follow this  
MissMuffitt

My Betta Is Biting His Tale!

:bighug: I am getting a bit worried about my BluBoy... He is doing it at night when the lights go out and every morning I get up to see his tale is shorter and there are little bits on the bottom of his tank. :whistling: These are the things I have done recently over the last week. 1/ I did a water change for both of my boys, about 30% as normal. 2/ I did make the mistake of giving them too much Brine shrimp a few days ago, so i let them both fast the next day. He is building a bubble nest and is swimming around and eating Ok. I only yesterday boought them some frozen Blood worms which they both gobbled up in short time!! Any thoughts on why he is biting his tale? I will try to take some pics of the bottom of the tank to show you the little bits .... Help me please... I'm worried about him!!

Is it possible he is seeing his own reflection in the glass of his tank at night? Perhaps an over head lamp or something creating reflection? Or have you changed anything recently.. new air pump thats vibrating or making noise? Bettas normally chew from stress

Is it possible he is seeing his own reflection in the glass of his tank at night? Perhaps an over head lamp or something creating reflection? Or have you changed anything recently.. new air pump thats vibrating or making noise? Bettas normally chew from stress

I only have the filter on for a short time each day, just to clean out his poo...lol Or in this case, his tale bits!!

He has only just started doing this in the last couple of days.. maybe 3

He sits next to Flame and they were flaring at each other now and then, now he is just ignoring him!

I have taken a pic of the bits and his tale now, but I have forgotten how to add the pics to my post.. can you help?

This is him now...

Posted Image

This was him before...

Posted Image

Edited by MissMuffitt

do you card your males?? seeing each other 24/7 is sure to stress them out! that's probably y he's chewing his tail :-/

do you card your males?? seeing each other 24/7 is sure to stress them out! that's probably y he's chewing his tail :-/

I did have them side by side about 2 inches apart with a lava lamp behind them so that they don't get bored.

I have just moved them about 6 inches apart now with the lamp in between them...

Do you think that will help, or should I block them off totally??

I really only bought flame to keep BluBoy company. looks like I might have made a mistake... Bummer

My Flame is not stressing out at all. He has been going great, but the other thing I just thought of is I have put a snale in BluBoys tank to help clean it.. could that be the problem?????

with the filter, you need to decide if you are going to have it on or off. A tank wont cycle with a filter being turned on and off, and once off for a short period of time the colonising bacteria will begin to die off and can cause an ammonia spike. A filter is really only of benefit if you are going to turn it on and leave it on, otherwise, wc's would be a better option. Was he chewing before you were turning the filter on and off?

with the filter, you need to decide if you are going to have it on or off. A tank wont cycle with a filter being turned on and off, and once off for a short period of time the colonising bacteria will begin to die off and can cause an ammonia spike. A filter is really only of benefit if you are going to turn it on and leave it on, otherwise, wc's would be a better option. Was he chewing before you were turning the filter on and off?

My tanks are only 5.7ltr each. They are six sided tanks with (2 ball filter things? a carbon filter and sponge all in the one little thing...

what are wc's???

No he was not chewing, I have had him for a couple of months now and was fine until a few days ago...

So are you telling me not to turn on the filter at all??

Maybe just get a turkey baster to clean out his poo..??!!

WC is Water Change Turning the filter on and off is pointless - it doesn't help anything. The filter is there to provide biological filtration as well as mechanical filtration and by turning it on and off, you are preventing bacteria from colonising properly. You are also killing them off, which is bad, because as Mouse said, nothing is 'eating' the ammonia produced by the fish, which leads to a build up of ammonia, and this is toxic to fish. In a tank that size, either way will work; have the filter on always, and do small wcs every couple days. This will require you to cycle the filter beforehand with another kind of fish, or using a fishless ammonia cycle method. A quick search of the forum will help you with that. Otherwise, just change half the water of your tank every few days or so.

Hi Missmuffet, I think the tank you have got is one similar to mine, I had to take the fish out of it - I have just been out purchasing more filters today. The one that comes with tank set up is too strong for Betta's. Your fish is probably stressed from the flow. I suggest you change to a filter that doesn't have such an aggresive flow. I am going to try the sponge - under- the - gravel bio filter tonight and see if this is more suitable for one of my betta's. Too bad - I think the tank set up was quite expensive for not being able to turn the flow down, I paid $70 for 5 - 6 ltr tank and crumpy filter! Nice looking tank tho!

Hi Missmuffet, I think the tank you have got is one similar to mine, I had to take the fish out of it - I have just been out purchasing more filters today. The one that comes with tank set up is too strong for Betta's.

Your fish is probably stressed from the flow. I suggest you change to a filter that doesn't have such an aggresive flow. I am going to try the sponge - under- the - gravel bio filter tonight and see if this is more suitable for one of my betta's. Too bad - I think the tank set up was quite expensive for not being able to turn the flow down, I paid $70 for 5 - 6 ltr tank and crumpy filter! Nice looking tank tho!

I got both of mine from Big W.. They were only $35 each.

I will be very interested to know how you go with this new filter as I have turned mine off and intend to

WC every few days.

I will take a pick of the 2 tanks and you can see what I mean...

Posted Image

I will edit this post with the pic in a few mins...

Edited by MissMuffitt

I wouldn't be surprised if his tail gets caught in the intake? I've seen the same kind of filter at living jungle and you should see how many tetras and oscars, and every fish infact, that get plastered on the intake :D But simple stress from the filter is possibly causing him to bite.

Edited by splendidbetta

male bettas do enjoy company, just not all the time :D card them all except for an hour or two a day and they'll love it. they get the company of another fish without stressing out :D and naw, snails are goon in betta tanks :D (unless the betta eats them that is.)

something just occured to me. are you sure he's not ripping his tail on those plastic plants??? plastic plants are usually a big no-no in betta tanks BECAUSE they rip their fins on them so easily.

He had been fine with the plastic plants, he sometimes lays on them. They are very soft. I have not seen him nip himself, but there are very small pieces of "Stuff" at the bottom of his tank, and when I run the filter and they get sucked up you can see they are blue. I will not be running the filter again, just doing WC's. He started doing this after his last water change, maybe I took too much out and he didn't like it?? And then over fed him with frozen brine shrimp, and then fasted him for the next day... They were the events leading up to this... What do you all think??

Hi Missmuffit - I couldn't find a sponge filter small enough for the tank, the one I have is too big. So I got a throw away cannister type filter was connects to the air pump it is penn-plax smallworld filter. It seems to work well, only thing I think it has carbon in the top and sponge in the bottom. I would rather skip the carbon bit, but I can't dismantle it. Yet! anyway I have just put one of my halfmoons in the tank the flow isn't as strong as the original filter so I have my fingers crossed. The HM hasn't quite adapted yet - it has only been a couple of hours afterall. But I'll keep you posted. Still I'll be looking out for a smaller sponge filter as I have been told they are better.

i definitely recommend a sponge filter, since i got mine my boys have been extremely happy. i put it in and it's like they don't even notice it being there, Rey Rey even swims over the top of the bubbles and doesn't worry about it because i've got the flow on really low all you need is a small sponge filter i think mine was like $6 and a small air pump $10 approx, a bit of tubing, a stop valve and a valve to regulate the air flow, you should get out of that for under $25 and the fishies will be very happy once the tank has cycled. if i ever get a decent pic i'll post my new setup, i've only a small divided tank (and it seems to do both sides because i test both sides and the ammonia and nitrites are zero on both) and each side probably has about 4 litres max. so you can definitely get a small one into your tanks :)

think I might have to go shopping oline for a smaller one - or built my own!!

thanks

I just had a look on Ebay...

What do you think of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Aquarium-Fish-Tank-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Or this ...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BIO-Waterfall-FILTE...1QQcmdZViewItem

How many litres per hour for a 5.7 ltr tank?

All of these seem to no be able to regulate the speed of the water???

I am very new at this fish stuff...

need help :):P:(( :P

Edited by MissMuffitt

I use these:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...EUA:en%26sa%3DN

The double sponge filter. Works very efficiently. Buy an air control valve to control the power of the filter so it doesn't stress the fish with too much flow, but moves water enough to clean it.

So these are what you call "Bio" filters.

They have living things in them to get rid of the fishes poo and excess food right??(To but it in layman's terms!)

And these must be turned on 24/7

At the moment, I have bluboy and Flame separated so that they can not see each other and have done another

1/3 water change on both of them, I have not put those filters back that that were int he tanks.

I thought I would just try the water change twice a week and see how that goes... what do you think?

I just looked those filters again... I was going to get 2 but the postage is 39.80US

total for my 2 little filters is $53.78 US, my hubbie would kill me if I spent that much on these fish!!!

Any one know of these he in Australia????

BluBoy is looking much better and I think he might have stopped nipping his tale :)

I think you might have been right about getting stressed about seeing flame every day all day!!

I will keep you all posted about how he get on.

Also... will his tale grow back????

it is looking a bit worse for ware...

Edited by MissMuffitt

The 'living things' are special types of bacteria which convert ammonia to nitrite, and nitrite to nitrAte, which needs to be removed through waterchanges. You can continue with bi-weekly 25-50% WCs. If you decide to get a sponge filter, I think replacing 25% of the water twice a week should be enough. His tail can grow back but you might be able to see where it had been damaged as it usually doesnt grow back the same way, depending on how badly it was damaged.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AQUARIUM-SUPER-BIOC...1QQcmdZViewItem

this is the same filter as what i've got though i'm uncertain if this is the same size as mine as the ad doesn't say all you need is an air pump (the smallest you can get) a one way valve and a flow valve to reduce the flow and some tubing.

i'll see if i can find a pic of those so you know what we're talking about

here are the items needed..

Posted Image

this is how it goes together in the tube

Posted Image

here is my sponge filter

Posted Image

this is my setup (the filter does both sides luckilly)

Posted Image

sorry these are the best pics i could get with my dodgy camera... i hope it helps you a bit

and the filter is on 24/7 and you can't hear it (mine is in my bedroom)

~Stacey

Well.... I am at a total loss here.

He is still bighting it!!

He can not see Flame at all and is eating normally and still looks good... Except for the loss of tail!!

I will take another pic and show you.

This is him 10 days ago

Posted Image

And when he started biting it.

Posted Image

And now!!!

Posted Image

Edited by MissMuffitt

Sign in to follow this