Sign in to follow this  
TraceBruno

Spawning Tank

Whilst we have been moving house, I have uncovered a whole heap of empty tanks (sacrilege I hear you cry!) and have been wondering which one would probably be the best to spawn my bettas in? I have the following: 4 x 1' tanks 4 x 2' tanks 1 x 3' tank I was going to spawn in the 2' and double it as a grow-out tank, but then have been reading about fry survival rate being better in smaller spawn tanks. I've tried spawning in the 3' but it was so big that they could hardly find each other :) The 1' could work, but I'd be worried about moving all the teeny fry to the 2' when I need to! My lovely OH is going to be putting together one of those shelving units from Bunnings for me - I have bought the 5 shelf, 50kg per shelf capacity Colourbond one. We currently only have room for one shelving unit, but once we settle in a bit more I might be able to squeeze another one in somewhere :) In the meantime, I'd like to try and keep it compact and all fitting into the one unit. What would you recommend?

go with the 1' if you think that'd be the best :blink: fry are very hardy in respect to moving to another tank and won't mind being moved as long as you're gentle (ie. don't just dump a bucketful of fry directly into the tank) :)

i used a 1' for my first spawn 60 made it to 6 weeks old ^_^ unfortunately i hav lost around 30 so i only hav 30 or so left wich isn't bad i think ^_^

I would recommend the 1’ tank because the smaller the space the fry are in for the first 3 or so weeks the faster they seem to grow, presumably because they are surrounded by food at all times. However I say that with the following caveats: 1. My 1’ tanks all have a sponge filter and are densely planted. 2. I leave the father with the fry and he eats any leftover food. 3. the tanks are fully cycled beforehand. My suggestion would be put the spawning tank on the top shelf and the grow-out tank on the shelf below and be cycling it while the fry grow in the spawning tank. When it comes time to transfer the fry, 1. empty the grow-out into some 20L buckets (turn heater off if you have one ^_^ ), 2. remove the floating plants and use a small/medium siphon hose to siphon the fry, mulm and all, into the empty larger tank, then chuck in the plants; 3. slowly drip /airline siphon the water from the buckets into the grow-out until it is a good enough depth that you won’t have huge temp fluctuations due to a too-large surface area : volume ratio. You can keep the water in the 20L buckets and add a litre a day to the grow-out until it is full (make sure you allow for temp differences eg by bunging a heater in the bucket – I don’t have to as the room is always 30*C so the water is warm anyway). I moved 3 spawns from 10L spawning tanks to 80L grow out tanks with no casualties using this method.

if you can't put a heater in the bucket, you can also use a soft airline tube. Start the water flow from the bucket and then use a bulldog clip to clamp the airline tube slowing the flow down to a trickle or drip (will only work with soft airline.. not that hard stuff). Definitely a set and forget method, but it does work and I've never had any casualties (even with fry as young as 6 days old)

Sign in to follow this