Urgh...what Is It?!?

Celeste84

ok i was cleaning out the filter in my community tank earlier when i noticed THIS floating along the top of the tank near the filters:

Posted Image

it kinda looks like an egg to me, but i'm not sure??

it was floating near the log that mr. spotty has hidden himself in (never see him come out of that hole lately) so i was wondering if it may be a bristle nosed catfish egg? i'd guess if it is it floated up and out of the log, cause there's no room for any of the other fish to get in there with mr. spotty parked in the opening.

but...i'd heard it takes ages for BNC to breed? not a few weeks after buying them?

it wouldn't be anything...bad, would it? i have no idea what it could be :) help please, i'm kinda worried about it being in with my girls :)

thanks for that amy, i thought it may be an egg as it was leathery on the outside, and had fleshy stuff on the inside (fish had eaten most of it though). it was about an inch long. has anyone had any experience with something like this before??? edit: the only things in my tank are the 2 adult BNC, 4 loaches (CAE) and the 14 female fighters plus the snails (turns out the girls are eating the snails when they get to about 1cm in size, i caught them de-shlling some the other day).

nope, this is the fleshy part of a snail:

Posted Image

the fleshy bit inside the leathery case was black and white and looked a lot like a developing embryo (well, what was left of one) - there was a big firm round bulge (white in colour), and some black stringy bits curled up near it, and a lot more softer white flesh sorta dangling off all of this where the other fish had been eating it. looked kinda like a tadpole does!

pete, i didn't think sponges had complex digestive systems? but it wouldn't surprise me (kinda) if that's what it is as the water for the tank usually comes from the rainwater tank. however that said, this looked sealed all around (the fish basically snapped it in half) like a pea pod? if that fits the sponge description then i'll be happy to know it won't eat my fish and let more of them live in there if they turn up LOL

Archived