Burks Backyard!

ren

I personally quite like crossbreeds. So many breeds have health issues that a good cross can give you the benefits while minimising the problems. I know that good purebreeding can do a similar thing but you have a far more limited pool from which to choose the specimen. Besides, not every owner is suited to a purebred, and not every task is suited to a purebred. Not everyone's budget is suited to purebreds either :wub: Its nice to have the option of a well bred dog with known parentage without having the designer/purebred pricetag. I think if we could move the focus from pet shops to pounds, that would be great. One near me used to have no puppies or kittens in the 5 months surrounding Xmas, and very few litters throughout the year, but they always had updated pound lists on the counter. I'm sure something could be done that would better regulate pet shop stock and clear out our pounds also. That would take $ away from the breeders who do crosses it for financial purposes only as they would only have the option of private sales or dumping them at the pound. I worry about banning or restricting crosses because there are certain breed groups where its not the 'done thing' to let your animals get into such a predicament. If the point is to reduce cruelty and dumping I don't want to back anyone into a corner where they feel that their best option is to carry out some backyard euthanasia on illegitimate pups. I know that does already happen with some breeders who don't want anyone to know their bitch has been 'sullied' and i really would like that not to become any more acceptable than what it is. For now, I'd like to see the laws we have enforced before we try adding any more to the mix.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that in many cases if there weren't irrisponsible pet owners to start with there wouldn't be irrisponsible pet stores - because animals wouldn't sell, there would be little need for pounds - nobody would dump animals and the number of animals destroyed due to overpopulation would be minimal. The message that needs to be emphasised is that if you make a committment to an animal wheather the animal is pure, pedigee or crossed it should be a committment for the rest of the animals natural life. It's a difficult concept for many as sadly animals are seen as disposable belongings rather than companion animals.

• 2 weeks later...

My pet peeve? The "we only wanted her to experience motherhood before we had her snipped" excuse closely followed by the wincing man going "you can't take my boy's balls away" *sigh* If more people realised that there are serious risks and expenses when breeding your favourite pet we would have a lot less BYB (Back Yard Breeders)!! I love cross breeds all my dogs bar one have been and all bar the same one have been snipped. And d@mn but this thread came up before I got my broadband back :D

That pet peeve is a big one for me too! I get all sorts of arguments when I tell my prospective puppy buyers that a legally binding desexing contract MUST be signed allowing me the right to take the dog back or sue if it is accidently or purposely bred....the decent people are very happy but some just come up with the most aggrivating excuses or reasons to not. Thats where my desire to see tougher laws regarding forcing dogs/cats to be desexed unless a permit to breed is obtained. The laws esp. in NSW are pitiful esp. the incentive to offer cheaper registration fee for desexed animals yet the cost on this fee plus the desexing is much more expensive than paying the undesexed fee.....that to me is rediculous, it should be made cheaper to do the right thing & expensive to own an undesexed 'breedable' (by accident or intention) dog/cat. When I worked in the petshop/aquarium it also extended to the fish, people forget that they are living creatures not just little objects that don't suffer from cruelty & neglect...the whole "It's just a fish!". The bettas have such wonderful personalities it is a shame to think of those kept incorrectly & suffering/dying as a result.

Archived