Burks Backyard!

ren

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Changing a fish's name won't protect us from idiots.

Calling fish "fighters" tells people that know nothing else about them that they fight. If the LFS stopped promoting them as fighters then idiots wouldn't know they fight and wouldn't do it.

By the same token, giving them a name that says nothing about their aggressive tendencies might well allow people to believe they'd be fine together. Given the minimal amount of information given out at any LFS these days its entirely plausable that someone could buy a bunch without a thought to compatibility. If they are called fighters, it would give the uneducated ones a bit of pause.

unfortunately my brother in law is one of those idiots. i almost threw him out when he let my pastel ct and the green plakat out to see them fight. his kids want some of my ct babies but at this rate i'm prolly gonna have to say no coz their dad is 100% idiot u guys think im on the right track here? and i do think for now fighter fish is the best thing to call them at pet stores as was said earlier to let ppl no they fight an not to put them together, at least until the pet shops get their fingers out of their butts and hav some kind of info on them on a display poster or pamphlets. unfortunately there are always idiots just like there is always gonna be break ins, violence etc. really sux that it happens but not much we can do except hope that most pp out there who own bettas are good ppl. all would definately b better thow ^_^

Poodles are the most abused dog in the canine world... I mean seriously, who or what else else would allow for their human counterparts treat them like some sort of canine barbie? I know if i ever was a poodle I'd bite my owner for even trying to make me into a fluffball lamb...

Posted Image

click here for more pictures

I rest my case (yes I had this out a collegue at work who also believes poodles are an abused breed)

[/rant]

By the same token, giving them a name that says nothing about their aggressive tendencies might well allow people to believe they'd be fine together. Given the minimal amount of information given out at any LFS these days its entirely plausable that someone could buy a bunch without a thought to compatibility. If they are called fighters, it would give the uneducated ones a bit of pause

wouldn't most people gather that they are kept separately in chinese food containers for a reason??

I am a firm believer that stricter regulations regarding animal ownership & esp. those Pet Shops selling need to be cracked down on in providing information & the sale of animals. I have worked in RSPCA & Pounds in the Euthenase Dept. as well as a animal sales manager in a Pet Shop.....which I left a bitter & twisted person. It matters not what that buyer knows about the animal, whether it is compatible to their lifestyle or simply if that person is going to buy it to breed as the idiot see's a few hundred $$$ & wants to make a quick buck. I was frequently threatened the sack from the owner of the shop as I was determined to explain what these people were buying in terms of responsibility as I was potenially losing the sale. The damage I personally have experienced from TV Plugs of my breed the Siberian Husky (we are Aust. dog mushers) is the people wanting a husky after seeing them on TV ie. plugs or Snow Dogs, 8 Below etc. they are a high maintenance breed & the number of idiots (sometimes 15-20 a day) "demanding" to be sold one as they simply want one. I say no for them to only go to the puppy mills & have a choice of upto 20-40pups ready to go. Thats not including the amount of people that have stolen or have been busted trying to steal dogs from my own kennel.

That's horrible howlsn.. these people need to go to a lost dog's home to see what happens when that cute puppy ends up not being that same cutie pie after 3 months. I can tell ya, after a recent volunteer day there, some people should just not have dogs. :thumbs: to you for not selling to idiots with no idea

The damage I personally have experienced from TV Plugs of my breed the Siberian Husky (we are Aust. dog mushers) is the people wanting a husky after seeing them on TV ie. plugs or Snow Dogs, 8 Below etc. they are a high maintenance breed & the number of idiots (sometimes 15-20 a day) "demanding" to be sold one as they simply want one.

I used to get the same thing when I used to breed Samoyeds. People just wanted a puppy because they looked like a little teddybear or because they had seen some Santa gimick with a sled being pulled by a team of sammys and they thought they looked cute :thumbs:

Calling fish "fighters" tells people that know nothing else about them that they fight. If the LFS stopped promoting them as fighters then idiots wouldn't know they fight and wouldn't do it.

I tend to agree. While I understand that they are commonly known and recognized as 'fighters' I think the name tends to give some people ideas. The last spawn that I publically advertised as "Betta Splendens (AKA Siamese Fighting Fish)" attracted all sorts drongos. One group of guys (6 18ish guys) enthusiastically told me they were going to take 6 of my biggest best fish because the winner got the car for the weekend. No idea if anyone 'got the car' but they certainly didn't get the fish!!

:rant:

No from what I saw unless I missed something it only mentioned that in summary...they are Siamese Fighting Fish (no reference to Bettas unless I missed it), will fight to death & need to be housed separately, various colours/tails & the females are pretty drab , eat varied diet, in colder climate need heating & cost $13+. There was nothing really bad about it so I spose thats a positive. They showed mostly VT's & a CT...oh & telling them that if they get sick of the fish take it back to the petshop. I didn't hear any mention of actual water condition or routine care required to keep, which if there wasn't IMO isn't right as it is just as important as what to feed them. On positive note it was done in a way that wasn't "everyone go out & get one" IMO plus it showed them being housed in decent sized quarters (divided tank) not those tiny things being sold at the moment in big W etc.

I was catching up on a little reading about the dogs. Well, I don't have anything against cross breeds they make perfect pets. It's not fair that people take advantage of idiots who pay extrodinary amounts for a mutt but in the end it's the buyers choice no matter how increadibly stupid that choice may be. Unfortunately, in the end it's the animal that looses but that goes for anything pure or crossed. Paticularly maltese one of the most commonly dumped pure bred dogs.

Interesting that in my time I've been volunteering at the RSPCA, I've seen no pure bred malteses. What I've seen? Cross breed after cross breed of blue heelers, border collies, kelpies, staffies, poodles, and 'Small White Fluffy' crosses (Shih Tzu, Maltese, etc). Yes, we get our purebreds... Labradors, collies, staffies, kelpies, jack russels (though some of them don't come close to the breed standard :goodo: )... Never seen a pure maltese there, only at dogs shows. I also have nothing about crossbreeds - they make great pets like any other dogs. What I don't like is people intentionally creating crossbreeds. There is no point to a crossbreed except to make money. Furthermore, I've never seen a person with crossbreed puppies advertising health testing of the parents, so there is the potential for them to be producing unhealthy dogs. I have nothing against crossbreeds, but everything against their production. I do agree that it is, in the end, the dog that loses out. We can't stop idiots making bad choices. However, I think restrictions on breeding (e.g. litters per bitch per timeperiod) and on petshops (no animal sales) would help.

Interesting that in my time I've been volunteering at the RSPCA, I've seen no pure bred malteses.

OK, fair enough, so I admit I don't work at the RSPCA. But I wasn't trying to mislead people!

I remember reading about Maltese being one of the most dumped dogs. Actually I looked it up and found a link to where I read it from.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/2004/arch...ers/dog_dumpage

Yes it's Burkes backyard link but if you read carefully the RSPCA helped conduct the research.

So...yeah...according to this document I wasn't telling porkies. I can only go by what I read.

Obviously I can't confirm 100% they were pure breed, I thought I read pure breed but maybe I was mistaken, it was a while ago I read the article after all and I wasn't there to confirm they were pure bred. I think I did pretty well to remember the article at all concidering I must have heard about it 2 years ago!

Also, I have no reason to disbelieve what you stated Leema. If that's what you saw then thanks for sharing :thumbs: .

Last night when I was thinking in bed, I remember reading that Maletese's were the most popularly dumped purebred, as well... But it doesn't correlate with my experience at all. Even if Malteses are the most popular dumpee, crossbreeds still far outweigh it. :( Also, perhaps this article is only considering surrenders to the RSPCA - when I'm considering surrenders and lost dogs and 'seizures'. I reread that article and I have huge problems with it... As he's calling particular breeds 'nasty', 'aggressive', and 'biters'. :wub:

Working in the pound & with RSPCA the cross bred breeds were the most dumped, mostly working dog crosses such as Kelpie x, B/collie x, & a lot of "pet bred" foxies, maltese & the like....pet bred meaning non-pedigree bred as there is a huge difference between a pedigree bred dog & a pure but pet bred dog. I too have nothing against say accidental xbreds, they do make wonderful dogs as a whole, but yes the intentional xbreds I really detest, not the dogs but the people doing it. Whether it be designer dogs, common x's that sell well in the petshops or getting into hunting dogs where giant breeds are x'd for pigging etc. it is all wrong IMO. Personally I think that Pet Shops need to be tightly regulated where they have a lot of responsiblities for whom they sell animals to. I think it should be law that ANYONE that wishes to breed a dog (& cat) must have a license & restrictions to do it, be it pedigree or otherwse, & all pet dogs must be desexed as the laws just aren't good enough & whilst the public only considers the effect it has on society it is often never given much thought as to how the animals in general are effected, anyone that has walked the isle of a pound or shelter knows what I mean. I have worked in RSPCA, Pounds & Vet Surgeries & what goes on behind the scenes ie. putting down 200+kittens a day in kitten season & 30-70 dogs a month.....but sadly IMO this will never change until the general populations perceptions of animals changes, sadly they are only possessions & things that to many people are disposable. There I've had my :wub:

Archived