Burks Backyard!

ren

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Road tests on bettas have been covered in Burkes Backyard in the past and Creature Features a kids show on pets. Needless to say I believe the articles could have been better presented, I know there are people that use this forum who were not impressed with the Burkes Backyard version, let me just add that Creature features wasn't much better. I've spoken to Don Burke personally, he's actually a very friendly bloke and very entusiastic when he spoke about his trip to Thailand where he saw large scale betta breeding and betta fighting. He was also quite willing to publish an article on bettas via his magazine from an Australian Betta Club's perspective, unfortunately this project didn't go ahead due to difficulties. I would be nice to have an article published about different types of betta avaiable and better advice on betta care. Bettas also featured on CSI recently!!! Some bloke was found dead with bettas in his stomach but I only walked in halfway through the show so I missed a lot :) . Apparently the bettas were on display at a bar and the bloke was kicked out after eating the live fish :) . They did show a guy reaching in a pulling out a blue VT from a display tank!!! Hopefully it was only a prop fish.

lets hope so i don't think any of us would b happy if it was a live one :) and i'd say its better homes and gardens since thats the only show i know of that harry shows up on lol i think thats on 7 at 7.30 used to b tuesdays but i think they switched to thursday i could b wrong tho lol

Both Better Homes and Burke's Backyard magazines have featured bettas as 'compact' pets this month. I can't quite remember if they called them bettas or not, I think they got called 'fighting fish' again (but don't quote me on that) I also think one of the magazines was talking about 'vases' and so forth for them. And Better Homes is on Friday nights.

Overpriced mutts with a fancy name Lilli. Plus only about 1 in quite a few don't shed and the rest probably end up in pounds. And Leema, Burke was one of the one's responsible for the whole 'craze'. (Yes there are a few of us who are passionate about this silly designer dog 'phase', $1000+ for a mutt? crazy!!)

I would like to see the Betta promoted more, but as both pedigree dog & miniature horse breeder there can be a lot of damage by media promotion & influence, not so much noticeable I spose in the betta (but you still hope that those that get them are still responsible pet owners as they are still living creatures) but as for the Spoodle etc. I have seen the bad results first hand. I've had a little to do with Dr Harry so I'm assuming he will be accurate & responsible in plugging the betta.

My boss (Chief executive, in his 60's, former farmer and roo shooter before anyone draws conclusions that he is "trendy") owns a spoodle and raves about what a fantastic dog he is, especially as he doesn't shed which is really important for his wife's allergies. Oh well. I guess he scored one of the few good ones. The concept seemed pretty sound to me, given that it was a deliberate cross with a specific goal in mind. A bit like crossing imbellis with fancy splendens to get metallics! Anyway, it's a shame that the execution was apparently unsuccessful. Sorry if that was a hijack! :)

Lilli, there is also the fact that poodles and bichon frises are two breeds that are SURE to not shed/non-allergenic coats... Yet people go for the 'chance' in a poodlex. Also, the majority of them are bred by puppy mills along the eastern coast, or backyard breeders wanting to make money out of their animals... Both are commercial avenues with little regard to the health and wellbeing of the bitch in question. And Em, yeah, BB was worse with its designer dogs. On BH&G, I don't think it was Dr Harry that actually promoted the spoodle, but one of his offsiders... that animal handler that trained chooks on one show... Maybe I'm getting confused by BH&G and Harry's Practice!

Dr Harry himself is very dedicated to giving both a accurate & responsible plug of any breed/animal, I think (hope) he will give a good wrap for the Betta...just wait n see, I'll be watching. As for the "shedless" designer dogs...they are crossing a non-shedder with a shedder... your going to get both in the progeny until it is refined through a breeding program over generations just the same as bettas, its just one of many examples of irresponsible people using animals to get a quick buck & that never ends well. If people are responsible & know what they're doing, spend the time & effort refining & getting it right then they deserve the financial side of it, but just those that just cluelessly breed & palm them off to whoever as long as they get the money, that does so much damage, & it comes back to the people that promote them in the first place, it's up to them to be accurate & give a list of what to look for/ask when buying.

Lilli, there is also the fact that poodles and bichon frises are two breeds that are SURE to not shed/non-allergenic coats

Isn't a poodle an extrordinarily yappy dog?

Whatever - I have 2 rescue mastiffs crosses (mutts) who not only shed, but slobber as well :fun:

I had a quick look at both Burke's Backyard and BH&G magazines. The BH&G had 'Solo' pets and was saying they do well in small containers (didn't say HOW small) while Burke's Backyard said that they're easier to care for than goldfish and prefect as a kid's first fish. Both my mother and I had a laugh at that one. Oh and they were still called Siamese Fighting Fish

Isn't a poodle an extrordinarily yappy dog?

Toy poodles, probably. Miniature poodles and standard poodles are not. It's more training based, anyway... I own a little dog that isn't yappy because I really consentrated on preventing that behaviour. :lol:

To be on topic, I don't have a problem with Bettas being called Siamese Fighting Fish. They do fight, so the name is apt... :fun: I don't think the name promotes the fighting of the fish... To use dogs again ( :lol: ), those who own a terrier don't all let their dogs go to ground, those with bull terriers don't use their dogs against bulls, and aussie cattle dogs aren't contained to only herding cattle. Names don't mean anything.

What exactly is a spoodle? a cross between a poodle and a ?, I thought Labradoodles were the new big thing? I caught an episode a while back of BHG and Dr Harry was removing a legion/tumor from a goldfish, that was pretty interesting, id like to know the cost of the operation, i doubt it would be very affordable. However he does promote better fish keeping, checking water parameters and things, as well as adequate filtration :)

Daniel. A 'spoodle' is simply a poodle crossed with a cocker spaniel, also called a cockapoo. Any poodle cross is suppose to be "the in thing", but 99.5% of the time they never cross their oodle with an oodle, they always go the pure X pure (or so it seems)

Changing a fish's name won't protect us from idiots.

We are on the same page. (Which I won't discuss here as members have copped my opinions on Donsy and designer mutts before.)

Will catch up on MSN and we can whinge together :)

They are all cockashitoodles too me :)

Archived