What Fish Are These?

lady0421

This is a new product on the asian market, adverised as the perfect gift to give to your girlfriend. Around $10-$15AUD.

Posted Image

What this is, comes with a bowl (plastic fish bowl??), "magic soil" and some instructions: to put the "magic soil" into the fish bowl and add aged water, wait for 2 - 4 hours and viola~! Fry appears~!! You'd get some random fish, all depends on your luck.

Posted Image

You also get a random number of fry in the "magic soil"

Posted Image

A blogger put a picture of her adult fish on her blog:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its advertised that they'll breed easily, I thought I might buy some when I make a trip to asia and give them a go after I get a few more tanks to play with. But I'd like to know what they are, it's no good trying to take care of a fish that you know nothing about... anyone know?

Handsfree and namezmud have killis, they might be able to help you. Bayfish have Killis listed too, so you can order them from your LFS. I keep Golden Panchax and Blue Gularis. Love them, spesh the Panchax!

Its advertised that they'll breed easily, I thought I might buy some when I make a trip to asia and give them a go after I get a few more tanks to play with. But I'd like to know what they are, it's no good trying to take care of a fish that you know nothing about... anyone know?

I think you'll find bringing "dirt" or peat in this case into Australia is going to be virtually impossible. On the bright side, there are killies to be had in Aus

They do look pretty, but it's just that I got sucked into the marketing scheme - was told that they were 'magical', fish appears out of no where, or soil turned into fish?! Now that I know what they are, read a bit more about them, maybe I'll rethink of getting them... I still prefer my betta... I wonder if they can stay in the same tank with my betta boughetto likes killifish?? From what I've read, should separate the fry when they are bigger (2cm?) and that they recommand a heater in the grow out tank. The bowl is only meant for 'hatching'. I'm not sure if people buying them knows that these bowls are way too small if they have a lot of fry?!

That's right. They are best species only tank. Some are happy in 20L planted tanks. I keep my panchax in my 4ft tank, they are happy and don't boss anyone around, except my fingers come feeding time. They jump out! I often get a fish on my chest ... or floor <_< Somtimes I poke frozen foods into cracks to stop it!

They do look pretty, but it's just that I got sucked into the marketing scheme - was told that they were 'magical', fish appears out of no where, or soil turned into fish?!

Now that I know what they are, read a bit more about them, maybe I'll rethink of getting them... I still prefer my betta... I wonder if they can stay in the same tank with my betta

boughetto likes killifish??

From what I've read, should separate the fry when they are bigger (2cm?) and that they recommand a heater in the grow out tank. The bowl is only meant for 'hatching'.

I'm not sure if people buying them knows that these bowls are way too small if they have a lot of fry?!

got sucked into the marketing packaging...imma suckka for this kinda things <_<...but ive kept killies before..to what i understand is...u cant keep the same colors together or they will fight just like bettas

got sucked into the marketing packaging...imma suckka for this kinda things :)...but ive kept killies before..to what i understand is...u cant keep the same colors together or they will fight just like bettas

You do not mix breeds, but it's ok if your not breeding them. But in saying that, you shouldn't keep mixed species together period as you said, they are agressive.

Most killis do not live long, so if your to keep them, a tank for a pair is the ideal way as you can breed them and raise them <_<

they are annual killies - in a natural situation the parents lay eggs in peat before the end of the season. The area dries out, fish die, and everything waits for the rains to start the cycle again. None of the really pretty annual killies are on the import list, though there are a few people around who keep them. Try the killie fish forum. Cheers, J

Archived