Hello all

Canfeleq

Hi everyone, Nice to see some familiar names here. As some of you know I am relatively new to Bettas, but have decided to try breeding them. I am sure that I will be a frequent visitor. I don't know how much help I will be but I am determined to pick a few brains, and as I have already found, MOST betta people are very helpful and friendly. Cheers - R :D

Most of you are familiar names - I use my real name, Rhonda, on another betta forum but I am not going there as often now. I started off in Bettas the same way as almost everyone else, one solitary VT :( who I purchased in Jan 2003 from a pet shop down the road, I estimate that he was about 6 - 7 months old at the time and he stayed with me until his death a couple of weeks ago. :o Arnie was shortly joined by several other VT's (about 8) until October last year when I started looking for females and young males to breed from and wound up rescuing quite a few that were being kept in dreadful conditions in pet stores around the Central Coast NSW, which is where I live. Then I found out about someone and have since purchased quite a few magnificent fish. I now have approximately 80, mostly rescued VT's, but I also have quite a few CT pairs, some HM's, Plakats, Deltas and one solitary double tail female that I got from an lfs that didn't know what they had :lol: I am hoping to breed mainly marble CT's and HM's - came really close a couple of weeks ago but he couldn't quite work out what to do :( Anyway, I will probably be making a nuisance of myself -pestering everyone with questions and so on, so I will leave you all in peace for the moment and have a look at the rest of this forum - which looks great BTW :o Cheers - Rhonda

Thanks everyone for the really warm welcome, it's good to be here :) People who look after their non human companions are the nicest people there are!! I get too attached to the rescued fish to rehome them atm, but I may have to down the track just so I can rescue some more :D Honestly, some lfs should be shot for the conditions they keep these magnificent little souls in :blink: I know of one that is owned by a marine scientist that keeps the Bettas in about 500mls and only changes the water once a week! I watched a poor little red CT for weeks in that store, when I finally couldn't stand it any longer and purchased him his fins were so stiff they were like little needles. He lives in a 5 ltr jar now with some hornwort (thanks someone) and is slowly recovering but it has taken months! When I complained about the conditions I was told they only keep bettas for the quick sales to kids! Rant over. As for the ponies, one of the mares got a little flirtatious with the stallion a while ago but we are not sure if she is in foal :blink: If she is I will post a pic when the happy event occurs. Estimating about December. This particular mare always looks in foal ( she is Frosty's mum) If nothing else Nugget (the stallion) had a wonderful time!! Cheers - Rhonda

Hi Rhonda! Hadn't seen u much. Hope to meet you soon too. Road Trip ;) I just can't go in three shops up here that I have tried to work on. Most of the others do the best they can and are improving otherwise they have me giving them a talking to :lol: How are u housing all you fish. I love seeing everyones fish areas. (mine is most of the house so can't call it a room) Johanne

Hi everyone,

Here are some pics of some of the rescues with a little description of each (I will apologize now for the quality of some of the photos - still learning, and I think some of these fish take after me!)

First one.

Posted Image

This butterfly was housed in my 4' Cory tank with 5 Albino Corys who he loved harrassing. He had almost no tail when purchased and only lived for about a year after I got him but I suspect that he was almost a year old at purchase.

Next is a bad photo of a turquoise HM Geno that has had a bacterial infection since purchase. I have tried almost everything but he doesn't improve, he doesn't seem to get any worse either so that may be a good thing I suppose

Posted Image

You can't really see it in the photo but he has black bands around his body where he appears to have lost the metallic sheen. The next photo is the same fish but from a longer distance. You can't actually see the fish well but it shows one of the kind of containers that I use. This is the smallest size, they hold almost 3 ltrs and are a great size for medicating. If you look closely you will also notice that he has a bubblenest at the front of the container so he seems happy enough - he just doesn't look very pretty!

Posted Image

And finally a HM Geno that I got from someone on the other forum who was getting out of bettas. He had a number of males and four females in need of tlc. When they arrived one of the males was blind - he has since died, they were all full of cammalanus worm, lost one of the females and another male to that. another of the females is positively geriatric and was so thin I did not think that she would survive - she has put on weight and positively demands her food! and another little marble male that has very little tail left and cannot seem to eat properly. This was the best of the lot and he is currently in multicure for a recurring bout of rot!

Posted Image

I will take a few more photos as time permits and keep you all posted on their progress if you like.

Cheers - Rhonda

Hey Lambo, you know who I am talking about ;) I only bought his fish because I felt sorry for them! I think the only healthy one is a large female MG. All the rest are either diseased or badly affected by a very stubborn fin rot. The male in the photo is not looking good atm, don't have a lot of hope there but will keep trying! Nice to see you here BTW. The yellow dot marks a medicated tank, yellow for melafix, blue for pimafix and green for antibiotics etc. The flag has the identity code of the individual and the purchase date. That way I can track how old the fish is and where it came from. Just a quick note to everyone - I may be absent from the forum for a while, I realised the other day that I am spending more time on the net than I am with the fish so I am going to concentrate on getting them set up properly. I will drop in while I am at work (no fish there) but I will be back soon. Cheers - Rhonda ;)

Archived