Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis pumilus)

Jess

I thought I would share photos of my sparkling gourami's that spawned earlier this year. :D

I had managed to save the nest and started to rear the fry, but with no luck. They have spawned often since then, and I left them alone. These spawns failed. I lost 2 adults a little while back, and there has been no more spawning since. (no croaking/grunting either) I have replaced the 2 I lost and hopefully I get some spawns out of them soon.

They really are gorgeous, such a personable fish packed into 2cm! It hurts when visitors mistake them for tetras :D

These little anabantoids are tops!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yay, one of my favourites :D I've had a similar experience with these little dudes. I started with 8 adults. They bred once, within days of me moving them to their own tank. The babies hatched and vanished and I thought I'd lost them all, but I discovered a few hardy fry still lurking a couple of weeks later. No apparent breeding since then, although I think I accidentally demolished a nest with eggs a few weeks back, siphoning the tank :D I'm not sure how many are left in there now, since I hardly ever see the elusive little devils, but last time I pulled everything out for a thorough clean there were 5 adults and 6 juvies. They're exceptionally appealing little fish, amazingly feisty and very betta-like (I thought they were baby bettas too, when I first saw them :D ) Actually they remind me of puppies in the way they stop and "prick" their dorsals when something catches their interest.

They are like puppies! (cute analogy btw) They are nosey little gems. When I took that photo, I had only just noticed the nest and I was so excited, until reality had kicked in, knowig I just dosed the tank with Melafix. A few had nips from spawning/sparring. That nest survived and was the one I saved, then lost :D I want more!! But I have 5 in a 20L already :D Mouse, you'll get some.. I will raise all the spawns from now on, well try too make an effort.

I hope so! I've been looking for them for the longest time. Everytime I get so excited when I get told on the phone that the lfs has them in only to get there and find they are the red/blue dwarf gourami's instead. A lot of lfs here don't seem to have much of an idea what they are :D

Bay has them listed listed as Sparkling Gourami - 2cm right now. Maybe you can get them to find it on the sheet and say, I want these ones!! (or better still, highlight it for them :D)

We have these guys breeding away in a community tank. We haven't tried to hard to raise them, probably should though.

Mouse, if you are after any of these kind of things just ask someone. She sends shipments to perth every now and then and probably could put some of these kind of things in. Provided the are allowed in WA that is.

here is one of the spawns and the community tank.

Posted Image

When I saw them in my lfs, they were tiny! I keep asking when did they get some wild bettas in ;) but they keep saying they are sparkling gouramis. Well they looks very nice and can be kept together to I bought the lot, yep the whole shipment of 20 :P for $15 :P

They are all in my planted tank now. All shy and love the food ;)

Posted Image

Mango :(

It hurts when visitors mistake them for tetras

uh-oh did I say that when I saw them? :P

They look more colourful in person, and they're very cute!

Once I've got more plants for my community tank, I will see if I can get some from where Faewyn got hers. :(

Such cuties, can't wait til they have babies. ;)

I agree Vicki, its a great shot! Best shot I have seen, cameras cannot capture the whole spectrum of colours in a photo, especially when they are shimmering! (Well, I have tried many many times :lol:)

Archived