Live Blackworms

BDP

So yeah, where do you all get live blackworms/bloodworms from? I got some the other day from the lfs which were in a little baggy with a screw top (somewhat like childrens juice containers/sports drink containers), does anyone have any comments on these? They were stored in a little fridge with a UV light. Was great to see the usually timid eating fish like a chocolate gourami and black plakat i have rip into this food :giggle:

Those would be the Pisces brand BDP. In the tiny blue fridges along with Brine Shrimp and other worms? You have to study the bags well before you buy them because some shops do not change or throw out the ones that are going off, (turning slightly white and ragged). Some shops sell them as cheaply as $2-$3, some up around $5. If you are feeding a lot of fish, some of the larger shops will get you in what they call 500 CC's of them for $50-$60. And some shops will just make up $20 or so for you. Which is worth it if you can keep them up to feed time. It's the mainstay for my fish. I think it is the best live food thats ever been available. I would put down about ten tumor deaths a year to the blackworm amoungst my fish though. But thats about the same rate as mosquito larvae so I'm happy with that.

Some of the Australian products are much better than what's available OS. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the supplier - but it was one of he big ones - feeds them with fish meal and other industry byproducts, not like the manure fed one's most of the world produces.

One big supplier is Australian Blackworms. Based in Victoria. Worms are grown in plastic troughs, not dirt, and fed a grain mix. I have box lots flown up every week or so. If you are interested in a large quantity (say 500g or more) let me know and I'll work out a good price for you. You need to keep the worms in the fridge in a large, flat tray and change the water daily. They can also be kept in tanks with filtration. They will only cause problems for your fish if you don't keep them clean. The worms are great food for Discus, Sth American Dwarf Cichlids, Cory catfish (best way to get them to spawn) elephant nose, Cuckoo cats, pictus cats, all bettas, etc Not recommended for the live bearing tooth carps (eg swords, guppies etc) Cheers,J

i buy mine from auburn aquarium or from crystal palace in fivedock because they arent in those tiny bags - theyre actually in tanks and they scoop out however much you want to buy and put them into a big fish bag - so i find theyre in better condition and they last longer :(

argylebetta yup thats the one! and while i didnt exactly look too much in the shop, I couldnt spot any dead worms when i poured them from the pack, the water they came in was very clean too. ren I've seen the blackworms at auburn on the floor in containers but its a pain to get out there for me, the only time i went out there was purely out of curiosity :D. So whats the general consensus? blackworms are evil? blackworms are good? Ive heard the rumours about the clenliness of blackworm cultures but has anyone actually had any bad experiences with particular sources? thanks!

hey BDP i have been using blackworms for years and never found them to be the cause of any problems in my fish although i only use in bare bottom tanks as not to have problems with them breeding in the gravel in my display tank i now buy them in 250gr size and just keep them in a bucket with an airstone and daily water changes but you need to be a bit more careful when the weather warms up i have found them to be better if bought in a small plastic bag rather than those little plastic contanoir things someone if you have details on where to purchase direct i would love to know if you can share the info :dontknow: Ray

In Melb, Hi Fin on Blackburn Rd get them in, probably from the same people as someone mentioned, because I've seen the grain floaties. They keep them in tanks out the back and make up a few bags a day ($2.50 a scoop), then run out the back to bag up more on demand. I keep them in an icecream container in the fridge with a thin layer of water and change the water everyday (by pouring them into a net, then washing them back out of the net with either bottled mineral water or aged water with mineral salts added -melb water is so watery - that I also keep in the fridge). They last for weeks this way. Blackworms are the only things I let into the fish room, and once I have no fry growing, I only get black worms every couple of months and I usually get a fish illness while I'm feeding blackworm for those weeks. Fish illnesses are rare at my place these days. I think bw might carry some sort of intestinal bacteria. Of course, the growth and the colour of the fish is unmatched by any other food, so I persist and if I catch the fish looking off colour early, anti bac meds cure it.

Archived