Harvesting Mosquito Rafts

PeterJ

Just thought I'd put this in for anyone after an alternative/additional live food to bbs. For most of the year I get enough mosquito eggs to keep two young (<4 week old) spawns going. I have ice cream contianers on shelves next to the house and I spend about 2 minutes each day collecting the rafts.

Posted Image

Potato peels keep the water stinky.

Posted Image

Each raft contains 50-200 eggs (or so I've read). They are a light yellow/cream colour when freshly laid and darken in an hour or so.

Posted Image

This is an average day's harvest. If the nights are warm and still you get more.

Posted Image

They hatch in a day or two depending on the temperature. They can be floated in the tank (good for staggering feeds if you're not going to be around) or hatched in the jar where they can be fed and raised (good for gut loading).

Posted Image

I know!! I have been keeping mozzies for years and I NEVER knew what a raft actually looked like (here was me looking for a twig like thing) I always presumed those rafts were *funy bits of leaves* I am going fishing tomrrow :worship:

I keep 2 x 100L tubs. I recycle old tank water and plant cuttings from the tanks - all go in them. I harvest my wrigglers daily using a large net so teenies can get through but biggies get caught. Not 100% effective but as effective as it gets! The teenies grow up in next day or so and then get caught, never ending cycle! As of Mozzie rafts, I am not sure, when I find them I will just pick and dunk them in tanks from now on :worship:

Wow! That's a lot of mozzies!!

What do you "feed" them with?

And how would one go about disposing of mozzie rafts and wrigglers safely in case there are too many?

I have a tank full of leaves and debris that I scooped out of my pond that I dump all the mozzies and bw in & they thrive in there. Sometimes a little too well and I have to watch that I harvest the big ones before they get wings :worship:

If you have too many wriggles and rafts you don't have enough fish :worship:

I'm with Mouse - get more fish if you can't find a use for wrigglers! At least by harvesting the rafts you generally aren't creating a mosquito problem outside. Occasionally some will hatch in the outdoor containers in which case I just dump them and start over if I see pupae (I usually can't be bothered trying to net them out of months worth of rotting crud). If you want to 'feed' them before giving them to the fish they'll graze on most fish food (ie for gut loading) but will grow happily on bread, and probably most vegie scraps. Just don't use much, otherwise you'll get another stinky mess.

• 3 years later...

i use an old esky,and two fish tanks full of water for my mozzies to breed in / dogs to drink from ( wont use thier own water bowl )

and the way that i collect the the wrigglers from the rafts that i missed is,

i use a two clear round plastic takeout contaners ( that our fish food comes in )

and an eye dropper i scoop out wrigglers that have gathered in a corner with one contaner suck them up with the eye droper

and squirt them in the other contaner its fast and easy i also get the max number of wigglers with the min amount of water

• 1 month later...

Archived