Axies in here!

Callatya

I've seen a few that have been morphed for sale at pet shops using iodine as the trigger. I think you can also force it by lowing the water level, but i'd be afraid of it becoming crispy.

Now that you mention it, I recall them having a note on the tank saying something about the fact that their axolotl morphed naturally, without iodine. :)

But, they could just be saying that. :giggle:

It was a strange looking creature, I'd never seen one before, but it kinda scared me. :cheer: I think it was fairly old. :)

• 2 weeks later...

there's an aquarium down here in melb that had an accidental spawning in one of it's tanks of axys :) the development from the clear gelatin eggs to free swimming axys are amazing... em, my cousin, little sister and myself are planning a heart attack for my mum's 50th in a few years... she's hates axys and we plan to put one in her tank :)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the most gorgeous Axie a few days ago. It was an albino coloured one which showed so much interest in me when I was looking at the tank. All the other Axies were totally uninterested, but this guy (actually I think it was a girl) look like she was trying to swim through the glass to get to me. SO CUTE! I was so tempted!!! But I didn't have a home ready and waiting for her so :hug: I've been showing GB websites etc on Axies and he loves the look of them too :)

oooohhh Ciara, u shopuldn't have told me that. now I' m gonna be scouring all over :):hug: I love Axies, tho have never had one. They're such an interesting, wierd animal, and I'd luv to see it transform into a salamander, as I love them even more :):( My fav colour would have to be the whites, as they just look nice and clean. Tho the blacks do have something going for them, and I mosty prob would end up with one of each :( :( are Axies easy to breed also? I saw a cple in a smallish tank and there were eggs all over one of the fake plants, and u could see the tiny embryos forming. It was kinda gross but cool at the same time :)

I was at one of the local petshops (the one that doesn't have bettas) and they had an albino, a yellow, a greyish and a black. The albino had a stump of a foor and the yellow was swimming around going "look at me, buy meeee." If I liked the pale colors I would've got one. I got the black one instead, only about 5 or so inches so it's still a baby. But it's loving it's small underbed storage container. :) And my mother thinks he's adorable (considering she didn't like them before) :hug:

Axolotls are just like bettas... once you buy one, you start shopping around for a friend ;) And the good thing is you can keep more than one together! I have four atm, two of them them did the dirty a few weeks back - my light wildtype male and a melanoid (black) female - and made lots of black and white pokeball eggs. A friend of mine hatched them and now has 11 lil 2cm long axies swimming around. And a couple of weeks ago my male got frisky again, this time with my albino female, and made lots of lil white ping pong balls <_< There's truth to the saying that axolotls breed like rabbits! The 7 surviving tiny ping pong balls are now just about to hatch. The larva are starting to wriggle inside their jelly coat :cheer:

• 4 months later...

Do axies get sbd? I saw an axie tank in a lfs today. Probably not the best setup for them since it was only about 1.5ft with 8 or 9 axies and had that small bright green aquarium gravel on the bottom, but anyways there was one that seemed to be stuck at the surface of the water. I was tempted to buy him, but since I had no idea what was wrong with him or if I even had half a chance at keeping him alive I didn't.

Do axies get sbd? I saw an axie tank in a lfs today. Probably not the best setup for them since it was only about 1.5ft with 8 or 9 axies and had that small bright green aquarium gravel on the bottom, but anyways there was one that seemed to be stuck at the surface of the water. I was tempted to buy him, but since I had no idea what was wrong with him or if I even had half a chance at keeping him alive I didn't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They can get bloated or gas in their stomach which makes them float awkwardly buy it's normal for healthy axolotls to hang around the surface. They tend to gulp some air and then float, sometimes for hours. The all round cure for axolotls is salt baths and time in the fridge, yes, the fridge :lol:

I sold my four adult axolots, although I regret selling my melano one, I miss her the most. I still have one baby axie, an 8cm juvenile albino who I raised from an egg :lol: but I'm thinking of adopting it out, I have too many tanks in my house.

Archived