What Is He

marc

definitely contains rosetail, rather extreme rosetail too. So extreme that he in fact may be a HM, but with the short fins that extreme rosetails get. More likely that heis a pk rosetail x though. I wouldn't breed him, personally, but he would make a nice ornament :dontknow:

ive grown awfully fond of him and he is very sociable .I have bred with him already but he is definately the worlds worst dad ..He gets to interested and has to sticky beak at everything that i do in the fish room and of course short attention span he fogets to pick up his eggs .. never even thinks of it .. they all wasted at the bottom of the tank.. Are PK that lively and interesting with there behavior ?

G'day Mark, That shot with the flash shows up the fin rays and scales really well. I'm kicking myself for not having a better look when I was over there. I didn't notice how much branching he had! The other thing that stands out is the irregular scales - classic symptom of strong rosetail. Looks like there could be some wild in the colouring and the anal fin though. If you're really keen to breed him (for learning purposes if nothing else) I've got a couple of females I reckon would probably tend a nest if you removed the male before spawning finished. I'm happy to loan/give you one if you want to give it a shot. I know everyone's against the use of extreme rosetails for breeding but if he was outcrossed to a non-rosetail surely the fry wouldn't be extreme forms... Anyway, I'd be keen to see how rosetail genetics works :cheer: , sorry guys.

I don't mind! We all balked at the idea of spawning ventralless fry about 2 years ago, and at the idea of a DTxDT cross about a year ago, and several of us have done both types of spawns now with no ill effects. We won't learn if all we do is speculate about possible bad outcomes. I'd be interested to see if it is possible to "dilute" the rosetail.

I may have mentioned this elsewhere but I believe that it may have been a PM so I'll post again. Perhaps what we know as "rosetail" is actually a bundle of characteristics that may be linked or may not. Such as people with red hair often have freckles, but some redheads have no freckles, and some people without red hair have freckles. So maybe the bad scalation isn't a degree of rosetail, it is just a gene that tends to appear in the same fish as those that have excessive branching, or is possibly linked with it? Or perhaps the bad scalation can only appear with the branching but the branching can exist with or without the scalation. If that is correct, theoretically it would be possible to breed a fish with the branching but not the bad scalation from an extreme rosetail, but probably just with a small proportion of the fry. If this is correct, whether you crossed with a HM without any characteristics of rosetail or a delta would make no difference.

Yes, Rosetail is a combination of genes, since it is derived from HM. The bad scalation and the excessive branching can exist seperately. I've seen it. But more often than not both are on the same fish. A fish with bad scalation that is from rosetail/hm stock is what I would call an X factor fish, and I would never breed from one. It doesnt have to have excessive branching, but if it does it does it is usually overboard.

so X factor fish are really fish with the combined "fault" genes? i personally love rosetails, and i think a fish with a full rosetail (dorsal, caudal and anal) would look good if you could avoid the bad scales.

There is another thing to consider with RTs. fish with heavy rosetail and long fins may not be able to swim properly or live as comfortably as they should. i think this isn't in the best interests of the fishies, and would be more inclined to breed to reduce the RT effect with such a heavily finned fish as your PK boy IF you breed him to a long finned female :(

Archived