Food.......

RedDragon

Just wondering what everyone uses to feed there bettas adult / juvie / fry....

I meet up with PeterJ on the weekend (thanks for the girls Peter), and he mentioned making his own food for his bettas...used in conjunction with live food...

So, what type of food do you use:

• If you buy it...what do you buy
  • If you make it......what's the recipe
  • What type of live food do you use
  • How often to you feed you bettas
Currently, I'm using:

Adults

• Tim Addis Grade 8
  • Live Blood Worms
Adults get fed live blood worms every night, and the TA Grade both morning and night

Juvies & Fry (different food depending on the size)

• Tim Addis Grade 2
  • MW
  • Live BBS
  • Mossie wrigglers
The juvies and fry get fed morning and night on a mixture of the above...depending on their size.

Adults (ordered roughly by frequency of use). Fed most days (but not on weekends if they live in my office).

• Jelly mix`
  • chopped earthworms
  • excess grindals
  • bits of my lunch
  • bugs and stuff
`Jelly mix contains[1] at least 50% fish (cheapo tinned salmon or tuna in brine or whole fresh mullet)

[2] mixed veg (peas, spinach and/or sweet rocket)

[3] anything else that seems like a good idea at the time (worms in the next batch :lol: )

[4] more than twice the amount of gelatine suggested on the packet

Put 1,2 and 3 in the blender until it's fine and mushy. Heat in the microwave till it's a bit hot. Mix 4 through. Spread kinda thin on a tray and put in the fridge to set. Cut it up and put it in the freezer. Chip bits off at feeding time.

Jellys!!! Sweeet....

Juvies & Fry (ordered chronologically).
  • pre-hatch to free-swimming: green water (if I've got some that's not rank - need to put some under a scope one day to see wots in it)
  • free-swimming: microworms and lots of em
  • week one: hatchling (<day old) mosquito wrigglers
  • week two: grindal worms
  • week three: jelly mix
:)

Everything I feed the fish either won't go off or gets cleaned up by snails real fast when there's left overs.

Edited by PeterJ

Adults:

• freeze dried bloodworm
  • freeze dried brine shrimp
  • frozen bloodworm
  • frozen brineshrimp
  • mushy pea (made myself)
  • hikari bio gold baby betta bites
  • LFS blend of pellets
  • fighting fish.com.au pellets
  • mozzie wrigglers
  • baby snails that hatch in the wrong spot at the wrong time
Juvies/Fry
  • Microworms
  • Vinegar eels
  • BBS/ BBS popcorn
  • powdered mix
  • powder fry mix (bought)
  • LFS blend fine pellets/coarse powder
  • fighting fish.com.au pellets
I make my popcorn BBS by decaping the cysts, cleaning them, washing and drying, then microwaving them until they pop :shifty: i freeze them in single serve sized ziplock bags and just defrost when i want to use them. the fry love it!

My powdered mix is very fine - it's FD bloodworm, FD brineshrimp, hikari BGBBB pellets, and spirulina discs gound up with my mortar and pestel, it's what i use to wean my fry onto dry foods :)

Adults are fed twice a day 6 days a week, their last feed is mushy pea and then a day of fasting. Juvies are fed 3 times a day and fed spirulina powder on sundays, this is cut down to twice a day when they need to be fasted once a week. Fry are fed 4 times a day, 3 if i'm really busy.

Adults get frozen Bloodworm and frozen mysis shrimp. Occasionally they will get a discus pellet. Juveniles get VE them MW, then after day 3 bbs, then once they are big enough and I can find them, mozzie wrigglers, grindal worms (if I happen to have enough to harvest, which is rare :shifty: ) Tim Addis food (no idea what size it is, it's pretty small though) and frozen bbs, then chopped bloodworm.

great thread! Learnt alot from the thread. All I have to contribute is that my first spawn were fed SERA MICRON. My second (from different parents) have been on Micro worms and look 3 times bigger and stronger than those on the dry micro powderd food. Adults are fed frozen BBS Blood worms HBH Betta Bites twice a day on average Clinton :shifty: great thread! Learnt alot from the thread. All I have to contribute is that my first spawn were fed SERA MICRON. My second (from different parents) have been on Micro worms and look 3 times bigger and stronger than those on the dry micro powderd food. Adults are fed frozen BS Blood worms HBH Betta Bites twice a day on average Clinton :)

Adults & Juvies

Live:

Daphnia

Bloodworms

Mozzie Larvae

Any other wrigglies I fish out of the pond

blackworms

Frozen:

Bloodworm

pea

Dried:

Tim Addis

v.small cichlid pellets

spirrulina flake (not all will take it though)

2-3 times a day depending on how lazy I am

Fry

Live:

bbs

VE

mw

new hatched mozzies

Frozen:

chopped bw

Dried:

Powdered Tim Addis

micro granules (not sure of brand)

tubifex

3-4 times a day depending on how lazy I am

Adults & Juvies

Live:

Daphnia

Bloodworms

Mozzie Larvae

Grindal worms

Frozen:

Bloodworm

Adult Brine Shrimp

Frozen food mix similar to Peter J's, I will post a recipe when I make my next batch

Dried:

Tim Addis

Freeze-dried Tubifex worms (their staple diet :dontknow: )

Feed some of those foods 1-3 times a day.

Fry

Live:

First food [will be] MW [was BBS]

Then BBS, continuously for 5-10 weeks

Bloodworm and

Mozzie larvae as they get big enough to eat them

Grindal worms

VE as back-up

Frozen:

Chopped Bloodworm

Chopped Adult BS

Frozen food mixture

Dried:

Powdered Tim Addis

Freeze-dried Tubifex worms

Roughly 2 times a day, with more feedings in between

Adults Live: Bloodworms Mozzie Larvae termites Frozen: Bloodworm Fry First food eggyolk spray then MW then BBS, continuously for 2 to 6 weeks from as early as 5 weeks shaved Bloodworm and baby Mozzie larvae as they get big enough to eat them Frozen: Chopped and shaved Bloodworm Dried: betta pellets will change to Timmi addnis tucker in the future Feeding 2 to 3 times a day, with no feed slacko days every now and then