Sign in to follow this  
sammc

Shipping Fish Problems

Just thought i would let you guys know something.

I just got sent an axy by calla (who is in sydney), she had a red label on the box and it got here in 2 days. Also prior to this i recieved fish from lilli, again with a red label from sydney, and they were here within 2 days.

Just thought you guys would find that interesting. Even though on the website it states that it is a white label and 4-9 days travel, they have been allowing red labels and it only takes 2 days travel!

These posts below were pinced from a classifeds threads regarding shipping live fish.

Edited by faewyn

I would buy up big and do a big shipment while your luck is still hovering around :)

Just thought i would let you guys know something.

I just got sent an axy by calla (who is in sydney), she had a red label on the box and it got here in 2 days. Also prior to this i recieved fish from lilli, again with a red label from sydney, and they were here within 2 days.

Just thought you guys would find that interesting. Even though on the website it states that it is a white label and 4-9 days travel, they have been allowing red labels and it only takes 2 days travel!

Hi Sam,

What tends to happen when you put the incorrect label on the box is that sometimes they deliver it, the driver gets billed for the extra by Fastways, then the driver is knocking on your door demanding payment. I know this has happened to Lisa and it has happened to me recently when I didn't use the website and used their printed info as a guide to costs (which I was given by them and was out of date at the time). They have now supplied me with updated information so that I have no excuse to make the same mistake again. I would love to take the risk and see what happens, but then again, I believe the fish would suffer and so would I.

yep, I wouldn't risk it. Amazing, they can be there the same day when they're chasing payment on a label that the driver got billed for, but the same driver will conveniently forget to turn up when you organise a pick-up....

but what would explain the 2 days travel instead of "4-9"?

Edited by sammc

I can't explain the why's of 2 days versus their advertised 4-9 days. All I can say is that they sometimes take longer than they advertise as well. The worry is that if they do take longer than 2 days, you can't phone and hassel them because they advertise 4-9 days. In the mean time, I'm the irresponsible person who cruellly and knowingly placed fish in a sealed bag for up to 9 days. These issues are affecting other breeders as well. Najrick are stating on their thread that they are having difficulties just sending to Melbourne.

Edited by NICK1960

Hi Sam,

What tends to happen when you put the incorrect label on the box is that sometimes they deliver it, the driver gets billed for the extra by Fastways, then the driver is knocking on your door demanding payment. I know this has happened to Lisa and it has happened to me recently when I didn't use the website and used their printed info as a guide to costs (which I was given by them and was out of date at the time). They have now supplied me with updated information so that I have no excuse to make the same mistake again. I would love to take the risk and see what happens, but then again, I believe the fish would suffer and so would I.

True True. It happen to me as well although i didn't get the knocked on the door. I just got a phone call saying that "pls check destination carefully on the websites" without any further charges of course. I once sent a fish to Leeton, NSW. I thought Leeton was somewhere in Sydney but in fact its in outback Sydney about 7-8 hours away from Sydney and few hours from Albury. Lucky the fish was send in 2 days. I think the " Live Fish" and "Handle with care" sign that prompt them to act quick. If it was something else, i don't think they would bother to send them in 2 days time. Also, fastway actually didn't operate on white zone. They obtained other local courier services to deliver parcel (white zone). So there would be no fastway van or uniform driver delivering parcel in white zone

same here. fastways actually contract out to a local courier company. Luckily i have dealt with this company before and haven't had any trouble with them. EDIT: though i had better stipulate that i have never shipped fish before only recieved them.i have no experience in this area but am learning a lot from what you guys are telling me, thanks.

Edited by sammc

Yeah... but if i'm the seller i will also not taking that risk to send them via red labels. I know fastway would not dissapoint me but it would not be good idea either coz its just make a bad reputation of "shipping fish". I don't want fastway change their rules to "disallow shipping fish" simply because of this trouble.

Edited by Erren

oh of course not! sorry if it sounded that way. I was meaning that its a good thing the local company has shipped them through so quick thats all! :) ;)

Edited by sammc

You are more then welcome to get them sent here and then pick them up. I am just on the outskirts of Adelaide closer to the Riverland so its about 2.5 hours from Berri. This is where you need to do a big order so you don't have many trips :)

I guess its easier with things that don't require heat packs, but still. Maybe what could be done is to call around some courier companies and ask what their packing requirements are for live aquatic plants, lets just bypass "do you ship aquatic things?" and assume they do :) . That is what I marked the axy, just in case it sloshed. :) Couriers (at least our ones) seem more willing to take plants than live animals IMO.

After the "fun" that I've had with getting fish shipped from Najina and Pat with Fastways, I called up my local 'Star Track Express' courier and asked what their policy for live fish was.. he said there's not a problem with them as long as they're double bagged and packed right. Plus their 'shipping' times were equal to Fastways, the guy even said he had a fish breeder send fish via them. I would call your local guy just to see if it's a nation wide thing or just a few who do it.

:) :) I really wish that companies would have rules for all their franchises... It's pretty crappy (Probably best to ignore my other post, huh?)

no, not at all - if the local franchise will take them it's probably fine. But I do think we need to be careful!

Sign in to follow this