Planting Betta Tanks

Phil

Ok, i have sorted out lights for one row of tanks so want to plant them now.

This is what they look like at the moment, i have added a few cuttings of a few plants to each tank and plan to add more later on. There are 2 plants that i am unsure of so if anyone can identify them that would be great :drool:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and i know this one is Wisteria:

Posted Image

Cheers Phil

Thanks Celeste, I had 3 rows of these but have downgraded to just 2 rows of 3, should make it easier to manage :) I like the sand. Not sure what type it is, i just bought a bag from work but its good because it seems to reflect light upwards so should help the plants even more :)

Depends where the sand is from. IMHO white sand could be made up of quartz, and/or coral/shell. White beaches are generally made of broken down coral (that why England has rocks instead of beaches :)) Otherwise sand is made up of whatever it got broken down from. eg. Red sand from basalt rocks (red indicates iron content) This is just off the top of my head so if it isn't technically correct don't be :) Like your tanks Phil :) White sand and blue "sky", very tropical feel to it :D

sand is fine particles of granite and other ground up hard minerals, so it depends on where you got it from as to what is in it. a lot of beach sands do have ground up calcite and limestone in them, but if they come from a desert the chances are the limestone and calcite have been leeched out over the millenias :) HTH

It looks like a silica/mineral sand. The grains of calcareous sands tend to be round and don't get that 'glassy' look to them (I was a marine biologist of sorts in a former incarnation :) ).

what is silica, anyway?

most silica in sands comes from the breakdown of terrestrial rocks until you end up looking at individual crystals. Big crystals are from slow cooled rocks like granite and small one's from fine grained rocks like basalt.

yup, the silica gets broken down from large to small as it travel down rivers some place such to the oceans during natural erosion cycles, this process can take thousands of years, but the end result is all your different types of sands and fine gravels (the closer it is the bigger some place coarser the grain) :) you can then use the silica to make glass some place other glazed items :)

None of the plants are Blue Stricta, they had them at the shop and i passed on them :no: Thanks for the suggestions Daniel, i will look them up and see what i can find.

I got these from the LFS, they are aquaone 30cm cube tanks. Not exactly cheap but great little size.

I got 3 new bunches of plants today. I dont know whats happening but all the LFS in the area around me have drastically gone downhill in quality. No quality bettas, just all torn up VTs and half the plants everywhere are dead, sick fish etc. Its a shame, i really dont bother going to them anymore unless i need something like the plants.

This one has about 8 (yes 8, how dissapointing again!) dragon fry growing up in it:

Posted Image

This one homes the gold dragon male, i want to spawn him soon:

Posted Image

This has the red dragon:

Posted Image

And this is a larger cube tank that holds females and a severum and a green tiger barb:

Posted Image

Thanks for the ID Pritch33, i will keep an eye on the light level and see how it goes. I have it in 2 tanks under different light intensity so it will be interesting :) Yep the Gold one does blend in dosent he! He is kind of sand colour:)

I got 3 new bunches of plants today. I dont know whats happening but all the LFS in the area around me have drastically gone downhill in quality. No quality bettas, just all torn up VTs and half the plants everywhere are dead

Your in the Penrith general area aren't you? which shops do you go to? I usually find healthy plants when I go out looking, just not a great selection :lol:

Archived