Gold Dragon

Phil

This guy is from Nick. I have always had such trouble taking photos of this colour so never bothered really posting any of them. But he was holding still in semi flare and all flourecent and everything so i decided to give it another go. I have double fluros above his tank and he shines out like a neon all day :)

This one is without flash, somewhat dull photo:

Posted Image

and this one is with flash, he usually looks like this:

Posted Image

Cheers Phil

I bet his name is "my gold dragon from Nick". LOL, Phil has had so many bettas he would have run out of names years ago.

I never name mine - it's unlucky IME. Name them and they die (sooner).

He looks great Phil, thanks for posting that. My females shine just like that - you can see them from across the room. I LOVE them. I'm working in getting that scalation in the "palomino" fish.

My husband looked at my Crystal HM (copper red dragon) and went "what's wrong with that one? Looks like it's been scaled!". Trust him....

Thanks Nick :no: The colour on the male seems to be more of an apricot than a yellow dont you think? I am thinking that if i was to cross him to an orange female (deb sent me one, thanks Deb!!). Orange dragons seem like an interesting colour :((

Thanks Nick :((

The colour on the male seems to be more of an apricot than a yellow dont you think? I am thinking that if i was to cross him to an orange female (deb sent me one, thanks Deb!!). Orange dragons seem like an interesting colour :((

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now Phil....how did you know that was one of my experiments....Oh well, great minds think alike :no:

They are stunning :lol:

I want some down the line, Phil! Nick, I wonder if the fish you sent me have redwash that would be set off by crossing to yellow? (imagining bright green fish as Celeste describes)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frankly, I'm not sure Stefan. I don't know why substituting the Yellow (NR-1) gene for the normal red gene should produce red wash unless the presence of the extended red gene which would be present in the yellow fish (extended red gene plus NR-1 gene) has something to do with red wash. I would have predicted that substituting Yellow (NR-1) for Red would actually be an improvement since under normal circumstances you don't get red showing on a non-red (in this case Yellow) fish except possibly when the marble gene is involved.

You don’t get red wash on a mustard gas fish and lets face it, MG is just an iridescent bicolour with yellow substituted for red.

If you do get red wash in a spawn, not all of the fry are going to be affected. Just choose the fry that don’t show red wash for breeding stock.

That's my 2 cents worth, and its hypothetical at that. I'm sure there are others out there that have more experience with this type of cross than I have. :)

Archived