Bettas In A Discus Tank?

ren

Hey everyone, im beginning to get rather confused here because im getting very conflicting advice.. my BOOK on tropical fish states that betta splendens prefer "soft,acid water. temperature range 24-28 degrees" my tank is currently at 28 degrees and im trying to get the pH down to 6.8 for my discus (current pH is 7.0) the guy in the LFS said that bettas wont be good in the tank as the acidic water will "eat away at their fins" ?? can some of the breeders or experienced betta ppl out there give me their opinions please?? i'd love to put a male in here with perhaps a small number of females (whats the maximum number of females i can put per male?) - OR just a group of females (can someone suggest a minimum size) thanks in advance, ren

you should not keep a male betta with females (unless you are prepared for him to end up with fins as short as theirs). The no. of females in the group of females depends on tank size. There's no problem keeping bettas in a pH of 6.8.

Not sure about splendens you need lots of filtration for discus.. hmm.. How large is the tank? Is it heavily planted? 6.8 is fine as the lovies said above. I am more worried about filtration and plants and stocking levels if you plan on adding a heap of females. Lets just say you had a 4ft, heavily planted. You could get away with females and male in w/ the Discus providing the filtration wasn't going to bother them as they like to come up to the top often. Do you have gravel? Logs for hidey spots? How big is the tank? and do you take sugar with your tea?

Not sure about splendens you need lots of filtration for discus.. hmm.. How large is the tank? Is it heavily planted? 6.8 is fine as the lovies said above. I am more worried about filtration and plants and stocking levels if you plan on adding a heap of females.

Lets just say you had a 4ft, heavily planted. You could get away with females and male in w/ the Discus providing the filtration wasn't going to bother them as they like to come up to the top often.

Do you have gravel? Logs for hidey spots? How big is the tank? and do you take sugar with your tea?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey faewyn,

ive got a 3ft tank

yes i have gravel

currently its not well planted but i'm working on that ! have two pieces of driftwood and planning to add some plants around the place to make it look good and provide hiding places

the most number of females i would add would be about 4-6? any more than that and it would probably get too crowded in there !!

i'm actually leaning more towards just adding one nice male in there..

filtration ive got an eheim 2213 its not too strong at the surface my discus can handle it so im sure bettas can

thanks for all the replies everyone looks like ill be looking for a male betta to add now ;)

oh and i forgot to add, i dont drink tea ;)

ren

make sure you put a sponge or similar over the canister inlet if you add a male betta - betta fins are like magnets for canister filter inlets! A bunch of females looks awesome if you can't track down a nice male ;). 4 - 6 would be a good number as it would disperse aggression amongst the group, if you decided to go that way.

I used my 3 foot planted discus tank (with a 1000L/hour cannister filter), which had three small/medium sized discus in there, as my grown out, holding just over 30 young betta at one time with no problems what so ever. I think the amount of bettas would depend on how many discus you have in there, and also on how often you do water changes and how often you gravel vacuum all their poop ;) My local lfs bought several fish from my red/yellow plakat spawn and four females and one male now live in a small (very heavily) planted tank quite happily. Granted, they are plakats, so no extensive finnage on the male, but not one of them after several months has so much as a nick in their fins or tails. I put it down to not having long tails or fins in the first place and the ample cover the females have if chased - same goes for the male. If the fish have plenty of room to hide, I don't see why you couldn't keep a male in there too, but personally I'd pick a short finned plakat over Veil tail or Half moon. Plenty of nice ones around ;)

Archived