Zorro

RedDragon

Hi All,

I picked this guy up at a lfs.....and just wondering what colour you think he is.....

He seems to me to be a deep chocolate colour, marble, butterfly HM, with very bright green irid.......which really shows in the photos.

I grabbed him because he seemed to have a very nice shaped tail and fins, and he has marble and butterfly genes. The butterfly colour goes from the chocolate brown to white on the fins and then to transperant at the ends of the fins....

Was he a good buy, or have I deluded myself into thinking that I'm starting to get the hang of spoting a nice HM.... :blink::D

Ohhh...I also called him Zorro, due to the fact that it looks like he's wearing a mask.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers

Fiona

Hi Fiona - looks like a good pick up to me.  Can I ask which lfs you scored him from?  And do they keep their bettas in good conditions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it was called 'Aquarama' over a Stafford....

Marc pointed me to the lfs when I was leaving his place on Saturday (it's just a couple of minutes away - cnr of Appleby Rd and Stafford Rd(?)) .......this is the lfs were Marc has been getting his CTs from.......Marc mentioned that they just got a big shipment of bettas in......

They were all in large plastic cups on the shelves, but they were all active and didn't seem stress....

The prices were a bit steep.....Zorro cost $40, and most of the butterflies were priced at $45, I think the HMs were $40....they did have PKs, and Imbellis and of course VTs....only saw 1 CT left and I did see 1 nice DT - almost all white, lots of irid and small amounts of blue marble......but all up I think they had a good 80 - 100 bettas....although half of them were VTs.

If I had more money I could have walked out with several more....... :blink:

Peter....I thought that he may be a good one to cross with one of blues girls that I'm going to buy off you....

To tell the truth, I wasn't sure I'd picked a good one.....he was the only butterfly that wasn't one of the 'bling' colours.....like the blue or red.....he seemed to be the only one with a black body and the transparency on the fins as well....but I just love the green irid that shows in the light......it was a hard pick between him, the white / blue marble DT (he was tempting, but I decided to stick the the HMs and CTs) and what seemed to be a butterfly with olive / avocado green body (although he didn't have 'good' butterfly markings). I think I stood there for 3/4 hour trying to decide between the 3. :blink:

To tell the truth, I wasn't sure I'd picked a good one.....he was the only butterfly that wasn't one of the 'bling' colours.....like the blue or red.....he seemed to be the only one with a black body and the transparency on the fins as well....but I just love the green irid that shows in the light......it was a hard pick between him, the white / blue marble DT (he was tempting, but I decided to stick the the HMs and CTs) and what seemed to be a butterfly with olive / avocado green body (although he didn't have 'good' butterfly markings).

I think I stood there for 3/4 hour trying to decide between the 3. :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he's cute!!! It is so hard to find good fishy SE Brisbane, I wanted to go over to Windsor/Grange/Stafford side (more North from the City) to shop, but it's just a little too far for us.

I've tried so many lfs, (suburbs such as slacks creek, kingston, browns plains, acacia ridge) but I still haven't got myself a betta yet >"<

I think he is absolutely beautiful!!!

It is so hard to find good fishy SE Brisbane, I wanted to go over to Windsor/Grange/Stafford side (more North from the City) to shop, but it's just a little too far for us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might go back there in a couple of weeks to have another look....your more then welcome to come with me if you'd like...

or wait until my babies are old enough, and then you can grab one (or more) of them.....I have 2 lots of fry growing now and another batch of eggs layed today.

I rekon he looks pritty good fiona .. Its hard to choose a fish when there is 1000 of them to choose from . It doesent suprize me you could spend hours choosing just one. I know i do .I love Zorro for a name to... I am so lucky that I live close to that LFS and not suprised to see them go so fast..I always pop in on a regular basis to check out the imports.. There was some absolutle gobsmacker butterfly CT in that shipment ,Did you see them ??

There was some absolutle gobsmacker  butterfly CT in that shipment ,Did you see them  ??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was only one CT that I could spot...mixed in with the VTs...and from memory he was a marble.......must have all gone....unless there was I rack of bettas that I missed.....

They had one rack on mostly VTs just as you walked into the fish room, and another rack at the back left corner with the HMs, butterflies, imbellis, etc....another then that there were only a couple VTs scattered around the front showroom.

Did I miss a rack??

There was only one CT that I could spot...mixed in with the VTs...and from memory he was a marble.......must have all gone....unless there was I rack of bettas that I missed.....

They had one rack on mostly VTs just as you walked into the fish room, and another rack at the back left corner with the HMs, butterflies, imbellis, etc....another then that there were only a couple VTs scattered around the front showroom.

Did I miss a rack??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like a betta paradise!!! :P

I'd love to tag along!!! Let me talk to HornDog first and see if he's busy around then :) Got him hooked with betta shopping :whistling: *proud*

I think he's cute!!!  It is so hard to find good fishy SE Brisbane, I wanted to go over to Windsor/Grange/Stafford side (more North from the City) to shop, but it's just a little too far for us.

I've tried so many lfs, (suburbs such as slacks creek, kingston, browns plains, acacia ridge) but I still haven't got myself a betta yet >"<

I think he is absolutely beautiful!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi Lady

try going to Pet City in Mount Gravatt that's were i get some of my fish from.

i know that Bakerman ( Mick ) sell some of his beautiful fish to them.

Thomas

Yep you missed a third rack down to the right of the VT rack towards the marine section .. When they get betta they really get betta and lots of them.there was white ,black green and red CT as well as lotsa  other varieties two weeks ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:whistling::P:P:):):P:((

I missed a rack.......

hi Lady

try going to Pet City in Mount Gravatt that's were i get some of my fish from.

i know that Bakerman ( Mick ) sell some of his beautiful fish to them.

Thomas

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Thomas, I've been there a couple of times, maybe I'm bad luck or something - everytime I go there - at least 70% of the fish is sitting at the bottom of their little cubic box, breathing heavily (some with bad fin rots and and others are simply dying) - either I'm a jinx to the bettas there or I'm really really unlucky, I see at least a few that are dead (belly flopped) floating in their tanks.

But Pet City is definately one of the better stock stores with a lot more bettas to choose from. I go there time to time (weekly actually) but still haven't met my Mr. Betta yet - then again, I think I'm just full of bad luck :whistling:

I might go again this avo before I go for my night course in the valley

Cheers~

Peter....I thought that he may be a good one to cross with one of blues girls that I'm going to buy off you....

Sorry I've been slow getting back to this thread - it took off without me :thumbs:. Could definately make for an interesting cross - the girls are solid royal blues and turqoise (there are some marbles left but their form is kinda average) but their mum was BF and dad was BF marble so you could easily get some nice marble patterns. Let me know if you're around town on a weekday ;).

Stafford's a bit out of my way (and I'm not sure I'd be game to spend $40 on a fish in a cup) but thanks for the tip.

either I'm a jinx to the bettas there or I'm really really unlucky, I see at least a few that are dead (belly flopped) floating in their tanks.

It's not you lady - that's pretty standard for pet city. Every so often I get suckered in to buying one of their fish - about half die within two days :(.

I think he's gorgeous, in fact he reminds me of a black BF I bought from Auburn Aquarium a few years ago. I miss the days of great betta finds in LFS's! Being able to import is great but nothing beats the buzz you get from making a good find! I think he reminds me of a dragonfly. Gossamer wings!

Archived