Sign in to follow this  
RedDragon

Shipping Bettas Between States

Decided to start a new thead to discuss the possibilities of organising transhippers for shipping fish in each state. We sort of drifted into this discussion on Liili's Genetic Diversity thread, but I thought it needed it's own thread.

Let the discussion continue..... :cheer:

Well, I am happy to act as a reciever for Sydney, as I'm home most of the time. Unfortunately I can't afford the outlay for the Fastway tickets, so for now at least I can't ship out.

Callatya, There maybe a few people in Sydney who would be willing to chip in to get you started with the first lot of Fastways tickets..... It's not that expensive when you have several people willing to help get you started, especial if there are ppl in Sydney who can't ship at the moment due to work commitments. Cheers Fiona

i've never had a problem getting fish from interstate - i got some off stubbskm and someone with no problems at all, the only problems i had were getting them from sydney to where i live (what a joke, it's only 6 hours away and you can't get couriers here >.<), but i agree the idea of a state transhipper would be good, it would really cut down on the shipping costs for the individual buyer :cheer: (plus you'd know the fish are in good hands)

the trouble with chipping in is that many of us have already paid the $400 for our own accounts.

$400!! Is that what it takes to get started !?! Holy :), to think I've been raising fry without bbs coz I thought they were expensive! So everyone who uses Fastway has forked out that kinda dosh! Lemme know what the deal ends up being with the Brissy crowd - I think I might be interested in a shared account!

$400 is a lot. The easiest thing to finish them up is selling other fish other than betta + share it with whoever wants to ship fish in your state. Make it clear in the classified section that you want to share it. I only left with 10 labels :dance: . Don't know whether i will continue spending hundreds of dollar after that. But if you knew the driver pretty well, i think he won't have any problem selling 1 or 2 for you. I have 3 different driver for the past 6 mths in my region and all 3 of them really into betta. I gave few of unwanted one to them :) (bribe...??). So i could easily buy 3-4 labels which cost not too much should i finished up my remaining 10. Another thing is, sell stuff on eBay!. That's what my friend did to finish the label and break even! :)

I have recieved fish from interstate and then shipped onto Perth a few times. I am happy to hold and send fish onwards, have plenty of spare tanks :) Now we have few more SA members some of us might want to go in for books of courier vouchers for sending fish around the place.

Looks like most ppl are interested in pooling resources for shipping fish around the country..... Is there anyone in Brissy willing to be a transhipper??

I don't mind being the shipper/receiver of any fish coming into/going out of Perth, but perthites and those shipping in need to bear in mind that AaE is the only way to do it, so its a tad more expensive. I'm home most days though, so the required phonecalls and airport runs aren't a problem for me. Not sure if its possible to get an account/booklet with them but I can look into it if enough people in perth are interested.

Is there anyone in Brissy willing to be a transhipper??

I'd be happy to put in for a split of some vouchers even if the transhipper idea doesn't come off.

I'd be happy to put in for a split of some vouchers even if the transhipper idea doesn't come off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds good Peter....we'll see who else would like to split some vouchers.....Marc maybe interested...

Edited by RedDragon

I'm interested Mouse! I can also receive shipments at work or can pop out to the airport so won't be too much of a hassle :dance:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two is better than one Trace :) We can share the trips between us :)

I was told that Live fish are a pick up only shipment, so I think we're stuck with airport runs.

Yay Mouse! Helps that we'll only be the next suburb over from each other :) I don't know how to pack fish for shipping though.. never done it before. You any good at it?

I currently don't have a need for shipping inter state but hope that sometime early next year I will have a need for it. I would be happy to look into the pooling of resources to make transporting cheaper. I am also happy to begin a "get rid of a stalker" service to all ausaqua members no matter where they are from. :) (I am nice tho)

Yay Mouse! Helps that we'll only be the next suburb over from each other :D

I don't know how to pack fish for shipping though.. never done it before. You any good at it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For sure.. you'll practically be on the same street (even if it is a looooong one)

Haven't had any problems with bagging so far. I just follow Lilli's double bag method :blink:

I'm always up to the role of devil's advocate :blink: As someone who has difficulty sending fish at times due to location, climate and price I think that an interstate transhipper idea is a great one. But........ If a customer had to pay for me to send fish to a transhipper, then pay the transhipper to care and rebag those fish and then pay the second delivery charges then I can say that they would probably be better off just paying for air express in the first place and getting the fish the same day as they get sent in a much better condition and with less stress involved...... even over to WA. The cost by Fastways (i.e by road in the right colour zones is the same no matter the distance. So transhipment price would be the same initial cost effectively doubling the P&H. The time it takes may vary by a day or two but the cost is the same in the same zone. However there are also times when a different zone might come into effect so it might cost more / less. But then the transhipper would need to have courier labels for different zones (another cost?). Heat packs are another extra cost even if you use the same packaging though new bags will need to be considered. Another but is....who is out of pocket if the fish should die in any of the movements. If the fish turns up at the transhippers place in perfect condition but should die there or in shipment onto the new owners, then who will be out of pocket? Business agreements come to mind? How much does the transhipper charge? P&H only? Time of care? Food? The transhipper gets the fish on a Wednesday? Do they send the fish on and risk a weekend? Or keep them for 5 days and stress out that they don't get fin rot? There are risks involved in being a transhipper. I freak out when I'm holding onto fish for any length of time before sending them, just for the same reasons, but I can also offer a replacement fish in most cases. Also not sure where the $400 starting figure comes from? If that is a total considering bags, heat packs, foam boxes, rubber bands etc then that's about right. Courier tickets from Fastways can be bought in books from 10 tickets but that may depend on your local franchise as well. In emergency situations having good souls in other states (thank you very much Lilli :D ) who have picked up and looked after and then forwarded on our stray fish has been fantastic and much appreciated. Having a single person in each state would be a great idea and one which would be fantastic if it could be established. But I think there are a lot of things that need to be considered by anyone wanting to act as a transhipper on a more permanent basis. Cheers, Pat.

Edited by najrick

Pat has raised some very valid points....and I don't have all the answers....actually hoping that there are some ppl here who can contribute ideas & solutions. My initial thoughts on this was to establish a single person who has the time in an area were there are multiple breeders that can't currently ship fish due to work and time restrictions. You mostly find concentrations of such breeders in the major cities, so sending bulk shipments from major city to major city has potential. Also, I hadn't planned on the fish staying for any length of time at the transhipper....I had thought that the breeder would bag the fish and deliver them to the transhipper either the evening before or earily morning of the shipment day....the transhipper would then pack the bags into the boxes and label for shipment to the corresponding transhipper in the other major city for distribution for ppl within that area...and not necessarily re-sending them on again. Fish intended for other locations service by the couries could be shipped at the same time directly to those locations. This doesn't address the issues faced by breeders and buyers outside of these areas, and to tell you the truth...I don't know what the answer to the issues for people outside of these areas are except to do what your doing now...ship your own fish. Even if we can establish only some semi-regular shipments between the major citys for the breeders that can't ship due to work / time restrictions we have a start on strenghening / distributing the betta lines.

two quick points as I am in a hurry - Fastways told me that the minimum purchse I could make was 2 red label booklets. I also had to buy orange as I was sending to Angelina in Townsville/Cairns (somewhere very north). It cost me $400 and that was after refusing to buy the excess weight labels they tried to tell me were compulsory. Second point - I think that it would have to be not negotiable that the fish arrive at the transhipper's place that morning - early - or the night before, bagged and packed. I personally have spent literally HOURS AND HOURS bagging fish for other people who have asked me to send fish for them. It's great when people drop off bags etc rather than having to use my own, but my time is honestly my most valuable asset, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that having to bag 10 or 20 fish for other people takes forever. I am never in bed before 1am the night before a shipment as I bag and pack after 9pm a/ because that's when I get home from work, b/ to minimise the time the fish spend in bags, and c/ to maximise the time that the heatpacks will be useful. it takes so damned long to pack them properly. At work I charge by the hour - imagine if I did that to ship bettas! So my expectation would be that if someone is kind enough to send your fish for you, learn how to laccy a plastic bag and double-bag them yourself :whistling: and drop them off ready to go the next day. Also - use/send sensible sized bags. Someone once asked me to send fish on the condition that they'd supply their own box and bags - then they supplied bags that I discovered, once filled (at about midnight), didn't fit in the box. I ended up with Pat's problem - hanging onto the fish and worrying about finrot until I could obtain a larger box/smaller bags. Wow, turned out to be a longer post than I meant!

I'm not interested in being a transhipper as such, I just volunteered to do the leg work for those in Perth that are unable to do it - ie pickups and drop offs to and from the airport (same as I have always done really - its just that I'm sticking it out there so people know I am willing to help and know they can approach me)

you need those special bags right?? the ones that remove carbon dioxide in the bag and replace it with oxygen from outside the bag??

Sign in to follow this