Who Is Breeding What?

splendidbetta

Im currently spawning Black HMPK x longfin steel HM female fry i week old. Turquoise ST giant x cambo ST giant female fry hatched today. Black HMPK x melano SD female spawned today. (dont know if the female is fertile) Red HM x Red HM female. spawned tonight. Spawns to follow over the next few weeks. Yellow DTHM X Yellow HM female. Redcopper HMPK xRed HMPK female. Melano HM x Melano geno SD female. Turquoise HM x Steel HM female. Copper HM x Copper SD female. My plans are to keep breeding the way im going. Trying to avoid rosetails/feather tails. And never using meds.

I'm going to be concentrating on HM, OHM and CT tail types.....personally, I don't like the VTs or the DTs As for colours, I'm going to try to concentrate on the Metallic lines and Dark Green: Black Copper Purple Copper Red Copper Copper BF Metallic Blue & Green Dark Green MG Green Cheers Fiona

I assume nobody mentions VTs because they're not breeding them. The challenge in perfecting a HM or CT or Pk line often is absent from VTs because there is almost no way to predict what you'll get from a LFS spawn. Getting good VT females is also very difficult. Say you found a gorgeous MG VT male and wanted to start a MG VT line. Where on earth would you get a MG VT female? You can use a HM or delta female but then, that's not really a VT line anyway! It would also be almost impossible to isolate a colour strain in a LFS VT. If you wanted to breed royal blues withotu red wash, how could you breed the red out? Probably again by introducing a HM or delta female with no red or redloss - but even if you invested all that time breeding a nice clean VT line, you'd get no return on your investment because 1/ the LFS wants multis, 2/ you couldn't sell them to other breeders because of the problems mentioned above, and 3/ there have historically not been VT classes in IBC shows, so many "serious" breeders haven't wanted to be bothered wasting resorces on VTs when it costs just as much to raise a spawn of HMs or PKs. Sure, you can import quality VTs in interesting colours like orange, but the import and QT costs for a VT are the same as for a HM etc and you'll get a much better ROI with a HM spawn than a VT spawn (not that you're breeding for profit, but having 200 orange VTs you can't sell to the LFS because they want multis is pretty depressing!). They're my explanations, anyway.

Thanks for the great explanation lilli. Like i said its a stupid question. However I plan to breed the VTs for awhile to pay for the other guys. Im am planning to get some CT lines going and to dabble in the HM lines as well. (BTW am looking for a decent HM male to breed with my green female you saw in one of my recent posts.)

So, I'm breeding Copper and Metallic Blue HMs at the moment, and I'll probably stick to that, eventually adding Symetrical HMPK to the mix. I plan to move onto Traditional Blues, in HM and maybe Symetrical HMPK too. I might start working with dragons too, but getting the heavy scaling over metallic blue or copper fish instead of reds. This will probably tie in with the metallic and copper plan longterm, if it works. I'm not sure what other types I want to get into. I might try melano sometime. Any suggestions? I don't like/have any interest in REDs and NRs, cambos etc, opaque, MGs, CTs, Trad PK, VT. DT is a 'maybe.'

Thanks for the great explanation lilli. Like i said its a stupid question. However I plan to breed the VTs for awhile to pay for the other guys. Im am planning to get some CT lines going and to dabble in the HM lines as well. (BTW am looking for a decent HM male to breed with my green female you saw in one of my recent posts.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess every once awhile you'll come across some unique individuals who much prefers VTs over all the other kind of betta (e.g. my other half) - whereas I'm in love with rosetails and feather tails (the undesired breeding bettas).

Me and my partner decided that (well, 90% of me pushing him to) if we are to get a VT, it has to be a special color e.g. copper, metalic - no red/blue/green...etc. Otherwise we'll get a pretty rosetail or feathertail!

Are you planning to breed any particular color/type of VTs??

I currently have a blue CT line up and running well , I have been working on opaique /white CT not so developed or easy to work on, I have just spawned and started with the black orchid CT, i hopefully will see some future results . I have the intention to obtain some red CT in future. I have some lovely home bred VT pairs , blue, cambodian, and green /red that i had all the good intentions for developing further but have decided to discontinue these .

On the topic of VTs, there are an awful lot of nice orange spot VTs around at the moment. I had to walk out of the shop to stop myself from buying one :) That is my weakness. Patterns. Any colour you like, any tail type you can think of, but give it a well-defined patterns and i'm gunna try to buy it :sad: If i can't find the right red in PK i may have to go with VT to try to get it, as its common as muck in VT and pretty unusual in other types.

hmmm i'm not really breeding much atm due to moving in the near future (i have time for one spawn before that if i'm lucky), but i plan to do: *HM ext red cambo line (maybe with spread purple irid, just have to see on that one, need a female atm) *DTPK X HM coppers (want DT/PK lines outta this) might also throw my copper lace HM into this mix in the second gen or so. *metallic teal rosetails X grass green CT (turq??) to try and develop a green rosetail line *red dragons from nick *blue/white marble CTs (need a male for this one) - would the white/flesh colour be considered opaque as it's not metallic??

*blue/white marble CTs (need a male for this one) - would the white/flesh colour be considered opaque as it's not metallic??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok I'm going to use some of the stuff that I learnt today so don't quote me on this because I may not be right! It can only technically be considered opaque if there is a "powdery" white layer (especially evident around the head area). Otherwise it may be considered pastel coloured? Someone correct me if I am wrong!

I'm in blue HMs, hopefully expanding to include metallic blues and DTs. Hopefully I'll be producing a few more boys in future too - I seem to be overrun with girls at the moment (not something I'd normaly complain about but it's not really ideal for bettas).

My main goal is breeding Blues, wether they be Metallic Blue or non-metallic Blues, just Blues :D I'm gonna split this into 2 lines. Solid Metallic Blues, and Marble Metallic Blues. Also planning on doing Opaques, just need to get them to spawn :) all my bettas I want to be HM or OHM, and deff want to try HMPK and sum DT to :D I have a spawn of Metallic Blues that are bout 6 months old now but still only bout 4cm in body length :dance: and a tank full of metallic blue females is just :)

Archived